Garf
Green Thumb

Progress Report

This is how I'm doing about 2 months into the Miami growing season.
Coustralee-no good, will not repeat.
Box Car Willie-borderline, almost killed by disease, treated with clorox, came back, still small.
Beefmaster-hit heavy by disease, recovering.
Tasti Lee-Out of 40 seeds, only 2 survivors, one almost dead from cold temps. Will not repeat.
Red Brandywine-promising, heavy disease, recovering.
Bloody Butcher-borderline, almost killed by disease, treated with clorox, came back, still small.
Atkinson-good.
Daniels-good.
Liz Birt-good, sparse foliage.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like you are having a lot of trouble with diseases. Tell us more about how you are growing these tomatoes. Are you fertilizing a lot? I think lots of added fertilizer makes lush tender growth that is more vulnerable to disease. Is it very humid in Miami this time of year? Are your plants crowded? Do you prune them at all?

Since you are having so much trouble, you might want to try a milk spray. Dilute some milk or yoghurt with 10 parts of water, let it stand at room temp a few hrs to develop lactobacillus cultures, then spray it on the plant including undersides of leaves. Works best preventatively, and would need to be redone every week or two. If you make it less dilute, it also helps as treatment, but not if the disease is advanced.

It also helps to monitor your plants closely and remove diseased leaves as soon as you see them. Also be sure you remove the bottom leaves, even healthy ones, so that nothing is touching the soil and water in such a way that soil is not splashed up onto the plants, many of these disease organisms are present in the soil.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Garf
Green Thumb

I grow in containers using ProMix BX. I spray with a Maneb/Neem mix. I rarely fertilize.

applestar
Mod

https://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/haloxyfop-methylparathion/maneb-ext.html
I looked up maneb :eek:

Using strong chemical fungicide -- or clorox bleach? (HOW are you using that?) for that matter -- when you've started out with Promix BX is like shooting yourself in the foot, don't you think? You miight as well not bother with the micorrhizal inoculum -- i.e. Beneficial *fungi*

:?

Situation is a bit different when growing in containers (it's always a good idea to mention that detail :wink:). Plants in containers will quickly use up available resources and would need to be fertilized. During the growing season, I leave my containers directly on the ground and earthworms move in from below. I feel that the earthworm activity enriches the container soil. When I do fertilize, I use AACT ( Actively Aerated Compost Tea) and fish hydrolysate. I do have to admit that my container tomatoes don't do as well as the in-ground tomatoes, so I need to improve my techniques. :roll: So far from what I've been reading, I probably have to step up to weekly application of AACT/fish.

Garf
Green Thumb

We have a bad problem here with Nematodes. The containers HAVE to be isolated from the ground.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”