joefish
Newly Registered

Roma tomatoes turning black

HELP :cry: ....As my Roma tomatoes are ripening they are all turning soft on the bottom half and then turning black in those same spots. I have four plants. The black material is almost like charcoal. Everything else in the garden is doing wonderfully, what's happening?? I've never had problems with Roma tomatoes before...I have other tomato plants in the garden and they are not affected. Thanks for any advice.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That can be one of two things:

a) Blossom end rot

b) calcium deficiency.

Calcium deficiency treatment seems to work well for curing blossom end rot as well but, if people have another alternative please add it.

Anyway, for a short term, quick fix treatment: you can buy a calcium spray at garden shops and nurseries. spray the tomatoes with the spray before they have the rot.

For a long term solution: Add crushed eggshells to the soil where you plant your tomatoes. I actually go to restaurants and cafeterias and get buckets of them but, whatever you use at home will do.

Also, the eggshell method is good because eggshells not only add calcium to the soil but, they also have Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium (NPK) and a host of other nutrients. They are actually quite high in Nitrogen and have a C:N ratio that makes them a green as apposed to a brown.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”