Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Was your area hit by the recent cold weather? A couple of friends of mine in FL actually lost some of their plants to freezing night temperatures. Snails and slugs don't come out in cold weather. I never see them active around here when the temperatures fall below the mid 40s. That might be why you haven't seen any new damage to your plants.

IMO, the best way to find out what is feeding on your plants is to go out at night with a flashlight. I'd suggest that you try to get out there around 1 or 2 a.m., but only if the temperature isn't too low. Look for the slime trails the snails/slugs leave wherever they travel. Look at the fruit and leaves, and your other plants, too, to see if you can catch the critters feeding.

Garf
Green Thumb

I lost 1 plant and one other had some damage. I can't complain.

NewGarden
Newly Registered

I used Slug Shields for the first time last season and they worked well. Copper solution and they last ALL SEASON. 100% eco-friendly. I got them online and will be ordering more soon.

NewGarden
Newly Registered

I used Slug Shields for the first time last season and they worked well. Copper solution and they last ALL SEASON. 100% eco-friendly. I got them online and will be ordering more soon.

Garf
Green Thumb

Never heard of Slug Shields, but I am interested.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”