hardland

Is this seedling ready to be potted up?

It's two weeks old, I plan on going into a 4 inch wide X 6 inch deep plastic pot with holes in bottom to water from bottom. Thanks
[img]https://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/valuemet/seedlingnov22.jpg[/img]

soil
Greener Thumb

since the cup is clear, how do the roots look?

hardland

Soil, It's funny you asked that. I was looking at the plastic pot after taking the pic and was surprised to see white roots touching the edge of cup. This took me by surprise because I normaly don't see that when I pot up. I'm wondering how to pot these up, when the soil gets dry, it almost takes on the consistency of a pellet. Maybe I can get these into the larger pots without toching the roots at all? Is that best, or should you loosen the root ball a bit? It seems the roots reaching the sides and bottom are an indication that the seedling is ready for a new home though? I know I'm dwelling on this a bit, but I want to put the healthiest plant possible in the ground. I have 8 or 9 toms in the ground right now, but some of them didn't seem the strongest plants and I'm not sure what they will produce. I'm in Sth FL and want to get some very healthy tom plants in the ground mid dec or early Jan, to harvest in late april.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I would wait until the plant is twice as big. The plant still has a lot of room in the pot it is in. If I were growing five plants that size in a single 2" pot I would think about potting up, but not for one plant in the pot shown. If you repot it now it will work, but it will take up more space and the pots will tend to retain water because of the soil to root ratio.

hardland

What does the term "pot bound" mean?

2cents
Green Thumb

hardland,

Basically don't let the potted plant get so large that the roots begin to circle inside the pot and/or become permanently bound to the shape of the pot.
They will dry out quickly if the roots are all bound up in the pot.
Even transplanting can yield little result if the roots are not separated slightly. Plants like tomatoes can with stand heavy root manipulation.

look at this video
https://video.about.com/gardening/Revive-a-Pot-Bound-Plant.htm

The small tomato plants in your picture, don't worry about roots being pot bound at this stage. They can grow some more before they are ready for transplanting.

The opaque cup will show the roots as they circle the pot/cup.
Give them a couple more weeks.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”