hardland

Plastic pots vs Peat pots

I start my Tom seedlings in 2" small peat pots, then pot them up into 4 inch pots, either peat or plastic. I am debating which pots, the plastic or peat are better. I cut quite large drainage holes in the plastic pots, but they still seem to keep the soil wet for a long time after watering, the peat pots seem to do the opposite, drying very quickly. I'm thinking about cutting some small holes in the side of the plastic pots to help the soil dry and let the roots breathe. Any thoughts ?

Halfway
Green Thumb

I seem to encounter either mold on one hand or extremely dry on the other hand with the peat pots.

I use the 4 inch plastic pots (next year will be solo plastic cups) and bottom water them until they get transplanted into the raised beds and final containers. That way, they absorb what they need and anything standing after an hour gets drained.

No more peat pots for me...too much trouble.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

A similar post came up not long ago and it was almost unanimous that peat pots were not worth the effort to many that replied. Most said they dried out too fast and even though touted as being able to be put directly in the ground to help with transplant shock, they hindered good root development and actually stymied plant growth.

hardland

So it seems like the peat pots win! Anyone have an opinion on cutting a few half inch holes on the side of plastic pots to help with air flow. The plastic pots seem to stay wet forever, even with a minor watering. I have heard of problems with root rot when they don't get any air.

Halfway
Green Thumb

It wouldn't seem to hurt, but I don't have that level of previous experience.

What type of soil are you using? I ask because I don't seem to have moisture problems with plastic pots and bottom watering.
Last edited by Halfway on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hardland

Halfway wrote:It wouldn't seem to hurt, but I don't have that level of experience.

What type of soild are you using? I ask because I don't seem to have moisture problems with plastic pots and bottom watering.
By solid I think you mean soil? I'm using Fafard 3B potting mix. it's quite light and fluffy, until you get it wet!

Halfway
Green Thumb

LOL. I always fat finger the first post and send before spell check!!!!! Yes, "soil" was my intent.

Never used that stuff. It must have some seriously absorbent material. Usually peat will soak well, but then suck every bit of moisture from every other element.

applestar
Mod

You know what? As long as we're making comparisons, I used about a dozen or so 3"~4" diameter clay pots to grow some of the uppotted seedlings. They were the healthiest of the lot.

I *started* the seeds in [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116547&highlight=recycled+containers#116547]various community containers[/url] minimum 3" deep. I didn't see any real difference in the germination or initial growth except the one container that was shallower than 3".

I DON'T and REFUSE to use peat pots or expandable peat pellets. They've caused too many problems in the past.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

hardland wrote:So it seems like the peat pots win!
?? :?

You asked whether people like peat or plastic and everyone said peat pots are terrible and then you said the peat pots won ?? I'm confused.

I have tried a number of different things (but not AS's clay pots for seedlings). I'm definitely of the opinion that the peat pots are seedling killers. I like to put the pots in trays and water from the bottom only. Some of my pots sit in the trays for 3 months or more, waiting for it to be warm enough outside. The peat pots mold and fall apart. They hold too much moisture and then if they do start to dry out, they wick water away from the plant. Seedlings in the peat pots are way more prone to damping off.

I've never had any drainage problems with plastic pots, but I do only put a little water in the bottom of the tray, just enough that the soil can soak it all up in a relatively few minutes.

hardland

rainbowgardener wrote:
hardland wrote:So it seems like the peat pots win!
?? :?

You asked whether people like peat or plastic and everyone said peat pots are terrible and then you said the peat pots won ?? I'm confused.

I have tried a number of different things (but not AS's clay pots for seedlings). I'm definitely of the opinion that the peat pots are seedling killers. I like to put the pots in trays and water from the bottom only. Some of my pots sit in the trays for 3 months or more, waiting for it to be warm enough outside. The peat pots mold and fall apart. They hold too much moisture and then if they do start to dry out, they wick water away from the plant. Seedlings in the peat pots are way more prone to damping off.

I've never had any drainage problems with plastic pots, but I do only put a little water in the bottom of the tray, just enough that the soil can soak it all up in a relatively few minutes.
es, I meant the plastic wins!

LuckyCarrots
Newly Registered

that was a good informative post no doubt :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

hardland,

Consider this another voice against using peat pots. I never had any better results with them than I might with conventional pots, but have experienced the same issues the others mentioned.
Anyone have an opinion on cutting a few half inch holes on the side of plastic pots to help with air flow. The plastic pots seem to stay wet forever, even with a minor watering. I have heard of problems with root rot when they don't get any air.
Rather than blame the container might I suggest that you replace/alter your potting mix to a more open, freely draining one. Try incorporating some coarse Perlite into your blend. If your soil packs so tightly that it won't drain you will struggle.

Norm

hardland

The mix seems pretty loose. It is Fafard 3B: Canadien Sphagnum peat 45%, processed pine bark, perlite and Vermiculite. As far as I can tell it contains no fertlizer, organic or chemical. I mixed this up in a 3 gallon bucket and added 1tbs of bone meal and 1tbs of blood meal. I have just started watering from the bottom, and hope this helps. This is also the mix I use in my large containers for the final planting.

Halfway
Green Thumb

hardland wrote:The mix seems pretty loose. It is Fafard 3B: Canadien Sphagnum peat 45%, processed pine bark, perlite and Vermiculite. As far as I can tell it contains no fertlizer, organic or chemical. I mixed this up in a 3 gallon bucket and added 1tbs of bone meal and 1tbs of blood meal. I have just started watering from the bottom, and hope this helps. This is also the mix I use in my large containers for the final planting.
If you have a fan on those seedlings, you should not have a problem of moisture retention either. With an oscilating fan, I have had no damping off. I think it helped develop some very strong plants as well. :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”