hardland

Watering tomato seedling from the bottom ?

I have a number of tomato seedlings on the go (I'm in Sth FL) and was thinking about how to water them over the next few weeks. I have re pot them from 2 inch peat pots into four inch plastic pots. The plastic pots have good size drainage holes on the bottom. I think I read somewhere, probably on here, that some people put the pots in 1-2 inches of standing water for a period of time, to in effect water the plants from the bottom. Does this make the root search down for moisture, and make the plant stronger?
On the subject of water. I have read in the compost tea posts, to let your tap water stand outside for 24 hrs before using it to make ACT, to get rid of chlorine and fluride I think? Is there any reason to do this with the water before you use it on the seedlings? Is straight tap water detrimental to the plants? thanks.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I put them in water up to the soil level, which usually floats the pot for a while. As soon as the top shows complete moisture absorption they are taken out to drain. It's faster than letting them wick water from a shallow pool of water. When starting under lights I usually do it in a plastic sweater box or bus tub placed in the bathtub. The bathtub has room for the water filled box, and a set of draining pots so it is a pretty good assembly line system.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The concrete mixing tubs in the home improvement stores are about the right size for watering a flat of seedlings quickly. They will hold enuf water you could probably float 6" pots so the water depth can be adequate to soak inserts and pots.

These tubs are made to fit within most wheelbarrows.

With tiny seedlings, it is fairly easy to flatten them against the soil surface when you try to water from the top. It happens almost no matter how careful you are. Or, you can stand there and mist, mist, mist, mist, mist, mist, mist, mist, mist, mist, mist, . . . mist . . .

Steve

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”