bunge

how to save seeds?

I've been saving tomato seeds from my tumbler tomatoes for next year and to trade. But when they dry, they stick to whatever I have them on real bad, once I put them on paper towels, not good...
What to you save them on so that they won't be stuck and destroyed when I try to peel them off for next year??
thank you so much,
joan bunge

jstr12

You take out out the gel around the seeds and the seeds and put them in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and punch holes in the top to allow air circulation. Bacteria will begin to grow but it will help to kill diseases. Stir once day for 3-5 days. Clean the goo of the seeds and them dry on a tin foil sheet. Roll the seeds around the sheet once a day. The seeds should be dry in 2 weeks.

jstr :D

bunge

Thank you for your time and great answer. I think I can do that.
:D
joan

Franco

o wow great, I had the same problem with the seeds sticking

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I use a similar method but don't bother with the plastic wrap. It's actually fungal hyphae that develop in the culture. Anyway, it works really well. Don't use any soap when rinsing the seeds as the chemicals secreted by the fungi are antimicrobial and will prevent the seeds from being infected with bacterial or fungal growths.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”