Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

How do you know when a black tomato is ripe?

I used to look at the bottom of my OSU to see red and know when it was ripe.
With the cool temps, and less leaf coverage, it has turned black, all over, no place for red at all. So how do I tell when to harvest it?

That same question is why I don't grow green tomatoes at all!

[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/100_3048_phixr.jpg[/img]

lorax
Greener Thumb

I've always found that gently pressing the fruit works well. An unripe black tomato is hard, like a rock; a ripe one is gently yeilding. It's kind of like the test for ripe green-skin avocadoes.

applestar
Mod

WOW! Those are seriously black tomatoes! Let us know how they taste. :D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

These are the same plants that produced my very best tasting tomatoes earlier this year, they were red then, with a blue blush!

I imagine they will still taste wonderful. It is after all the same plant.
These are just today October 10 photos of them.

I did notice the plant is wilted, so gotta get it watered.

lorax
Greener Thumb

OL, are you saving seed from those? I'd be very interested in a trade - I've got 'Strawberry' altitude adapted indeterminates, as well as Tree Tomatoes, if you're interested.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I loved the flavor of these cherry tomatoes even before the color was anything to get excited about.
It is not a stable seed as of yet. I got it from a friend. I got 3 plants to grow, since my seeds were very limited. 2 of the 3 produced cherry tomatoes, and the other one was regular sized tomatoes. The cherry sized ones had the best flavor, and this particular plant was awesome!

I was also impressed, it set fruit throughout the 100 degree days. And then it kept right on going. I had so many tomatoes fail, BER you name it, not this little guy. He just overgrew my cage, and broke. I duct taped him, and tied him to a stake and he kept going, even on the damaged part.

We have had almost frosts at night, and it is still cranking them out, still blooming still setting fruits.

I hope to play with it, and get the flavor, and color in a larger tomato. So, sure I saved seeds like a squirrel. Everyone who ate one was charged 3 seeds for eating it!

Most folks paid more! :lol:
Yes, I have lots of seeds of this one. I plan to NEVER, ever not have this guy, and the Hillbilly and Pink Oxhearts they earned their place. But this guy was KING of the garden this year.

I would love to share seeds. My house burning in 2008 certainly taught me how great it is to swap, then if something happens you can get more of the original seeds or photos etc.
I swapped before, now I really swap.

My favorite swap is: Look and see what you have the most saved of... I'll take that one, since it is probably your favorite!

lorax
Greener Thumb

That would be the Strawberry; it was a terrific performer up to 120 degrees over the winter, and is still growing strong now that it's summer and it's drier. I averaged about 500 little fruits per plant before they got so tall that I had to chop 'em down. It's OP, but seems reasonably stable.

I've also got tons of Tree Tomato, because I love both the plant and the fruits.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Lorax,

When you reference the tree tomato, is it the same tomato as the Climbing Trip-L-Crop referenced at https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Climbing_Trip-L-Crop?

I planted it in North Texas this year and it didn't perform well, but none of my tomatoes did well in the crazy heat of 2010.

Many people who have grown the Trip-L-Crop in the past dismiss it as very productive of tasteless tomatoes. If it is the same tomato, what is your estimate of its taste?

Ted

lorax
Greener Thumb

Ted, what I'm talking about when I say "Tree Tomato" isn't a cultivar of Solanum lycopersicum, it's the related species Solanum betaceum, which might be better known in non-Spanish speaking areas as Tamarillo. This is a biennial to triennial in hot climates, forms a 6-8 foot tall tree with attractive broad glossy leaves, and bears egg-shaped and -sized fruits that (usually) turn an attractive mottled red-purple when ripe. I refer to them in English as "Tree Tomato" because that's the literal translation of their name in Spanish (Tomate de Arbol).

Ecuador, where the fruit originates and was domesticated, recognizes three cultivars: one where the gel surrounding the seeds is yellow ('Amarillo'), one where the gel is red ('Pura Sangre' or 'Rojo'), and one with yellow skin ('Dorado'). We use them side by side with standard tomatoes in sauces, but they're a swing fruit - we also make juice with them, and they're delicious at dessert when poached in a cinnamon syrup. I love the flavour, which is less acidic and sweeter than most standard tomatoes; when I don't have 'Pineapple' beefsteaks ripe, they're my first choice for sandwiches as well, even though I have to peel them first since the skin is too tough to be really tasty.

[img]https://ethnobotany09.providence.wikispaces.net/file/view/tamarillo_fruit.jpg/107630889/tamarillo_fruit.jpg[/img]

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”