kerrik420
Newly Registered

Experiment-Help with figuring out rate of tomato growth

For my biology course I'm supposed to do an experiment about plant growth using the tomato seed.

I don't have time to grow 8 seeds, so I've decided to just try to guess what will happen.

I'm supposed to germinate it and then grow it for 2 weeks under 4 different conditions.

I just need to know how it normally grows so I can guess what will happen under the different conditions.

So does anyone know how long it takes to germinate and how fast it grows?

Or if you don't know how fast it grows, does anyone know the average height it is after a week and/or two weeks of growth? It doesn't need to be exact, I just need a general idea.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I think the point of the assignment is for you to do your own work and keep good notes of your observations, not ask others to do it for you. This would show poor practice in any scientist.

Cynthia H.
Moderator and former teacher

kerrik420
Newly Registered

I do my course online and wasn't given a sufficient amount of time to do this experiment. If I was I would of grown them. My teacher even said that it's fine to do this since it wasn't my fault. He said it is a reasonable way for me to get my mark for that without missing the deadline for my course.

Asking that isn't equivalent to getting someone to do all the work for me. My teacher approved of it because I'm still doing the work on my own. I need direction though so I can figure out the affects of salt on the growth of the plant ,and in order to do that I need a general idea of how fast the plant *normally* grows.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Since your teacher approves you "guessing" how your "experiment" will turn out, perhaps he or she should be the one to give you "guidance" in regards to how to get started. :)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Eight seeds grow just as fast as one seed. Set up your four conditions at the same time so they will all be done in one two week period. Fresh seeds should germinate in just a few days at room temperature.

The major flaw in your design is doing only two seeds for each condition. That will give you worthless results because you can't tell the difference between natural variation and the effect of the condition. Ten seeds for each condition would be better.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”