thgng
Newly Registered

Tomato for the tropical climate

Hi everyone,

I have a friend in Mexico and he would like to send me some Mexico heirloom tomato or native tomato seed to be grown in my country, Sinagpore.

Singapore has an average temperature of 30 degree Celsius and a humidity of 75%. The mean annual rainfall is 2360 mm. This makes it very humid and hot.

How can I tell which tomato seeds are suitable to be grown in such climate ?

I am unable to find information on the species of tomato suitable for hot climate. Hopefully, you can give me some advice. Thank you.

Sunrise_Anne

thgng

First, I'd check with your friend about the climate where the tomato plants are grown in Mexico. If they do all right in a similar hot and humid climate there, I'd think they'd do all right in your climate.

I'd love to get some wild Mexican tomato seeds, since many are resistant to the diseases we have here in the Southern part of the US, like Septoria and Early Blight. So count yourself lucky that you have a friend who wants to share tomato seeds with you! :-)

Like all of us, you'll probably need to get the most heat-tolerant and disease-tolerant tomato seeds your friend can supply and then grow a few of them at a time to see which ones thrive in your environment and which ones taste really good! That's how I, and probably many other tomato growers, identify our favorites.

lorax
Greener Thumb

thgng, from my own personal experience with tomatoes in the tropics, you will be just fine if you can find a partially shady location to grow in. Full sun is what seems to kill them in this heat - with shade, they just grow faster and more vigorously.

At 10,000' of altitude, I have an average temperature of 30-35 although I'm less humid than you are. At any given time, I've got between 2 and 10 varieities growing in the garden (since I'm challenging North American heirlooms for altitude and heat resistance.) You'll have to keep careful watch for mildew and other fungal diseases, which are easy to control with a 10% milk in water solution, but beyond that many of the things that would affect cool-area tomatoes, like blight and septoria, don't survive well in tropical soils.

You'll have good starting stock as well, with the Latin American cultivars, which are already fairly heat-tolerant.

Garf
Green Thumb

You could try "Everglades". It is a currant tomato that escaped someones garden long ago and adapted to the Everglades swamp. It grows like a weed. The only problem is the fruit is small, but you get a lot of them.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”