trixsampq
Newly Registered

Tomato Growing

[color=red]Hi

Can anyone please tell me if I need a greenhouse to grow tomatos?

I live in south Wales, and my garden has sun on it for most of the day..

Also, if I do need a greenhouse, which type is best glass or plastic?

Thanks for your help. :D :mrgreen: [color=indigo]

tiggy

hi you don't need a greenhouse to grow tomatos, I live in devon and grow mine outside every year with good results.
if you want to start them from seed ( which I am sure is too late now) start them off inside in a small propergater.
I do use my greenhouse to aid the ripening of my fruits, but this is not nessesary, as I have young children I only have glass in the roof of my greenhouse and the sides are poly tunnel plastic. this I find works just as well.
good luck with it hope you are sucessful.

tiggy

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yep, a greenhouse is definately not a must for growing tomatoes but, it can really help in quickening the ripening process. And Basil is a companion plant to tomatoes and I have only had success growing basil in greenhouses.

Anyway, tomatoes do great in both greenhouses and in the open.

Just be sure to prune the bottom branches to prevent a fungal infection.

Hi trixsampq,

No you do not need a greenhouse to grow your tomatoes. It may be a little late to grow from seeds (depending where you are) but you could start from cuttings or small plants from the local supply store.

A small container in your back garden (deck) can work fine. I use large ice cream pails. Then stake them as the get larger.

Cheers,
Jane

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”