gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

My tomatoes are still kicking. Yeah!!!!

It's September 22 and I still have tomatoes.

They have actually just recently had a big boost in production. All my neighbors pulled all of theirs 2-4 weeks ago. :( I like to hang on as long as I can for that fall revival. I found 4 hornworms yesterday two were, well halved, and are not doing so well the others had brachnoid pupae on them. so they were left alone. Funny thing is I cut one of the big ones in half but every now and the it would start eating again. I told it that wasn't necessary but still it kept eating. :lol: :eek: All the mass of bugs are gone but the worm types are in force I have had to cull a few but not as much as earlier in the season. The splitting is to a minimum and I'm hoping for a great fall harvest.

Here are my (from right to left) AAA Sweet Solona's and Pink Berkley Tie Dye they were planted way late so they are just now coming into true form. To the left of the PBTDye is Sweet Cornero's Pink they are sprawling on the ground but have a ton of fruit on them. Hoping for the best here.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC04174.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC04176.jpg[/img]

The above look more healthy than my other patch but they have a lot of tom's on them as well. Still hoping for the best.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC04177.jpg[/img]

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I almost have to let my plants grow until first frost. Besides this summer has been so hot and so constant, I'm only just recently getting my first flush of fruits. I'm glad you let your plants go. Your neighbors don't know what they are giving up.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

I still have 6 growing, and they're setting fruit like crazy right now too. Cooler temps are sure great for a second boost of growth...

EG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yeah I can't wait I haven't had a fresh tomato in a week. I'm going through withdraw.

Still itching to get those Sweet potatoes out too. That is what is in the background of the first couple pics. With another bed on the other side.

Patience young grasshopper.

Now you got me going on about all the grasshoppers around here. :evil: nutz:

vermontkingdom

I too have lots of tomatoes still coming along. This has been an absolutely wonderful year for tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and beans. They are all going strong and we have no long range weather frost forecast yet. It's much later than usual. My wife is actually hoping for a killing frost so as to stop my daily caning routine.

soccer082004
Newly Registered

I work at my local farm and we plant about 3 acres of tomatoes every year. They continue to produce large nice tomatoes until the frost kills the plants. We pick right up until frost comes. They will keep going if you let them and it is weel worth it.

Store bought tomatoes in the winter are just not the same!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”