LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Yucky!

I usually make it a habit to go to the farmer's market every week to obtain fruits and veggies that I didn't grow here at home. I try to get something from every stand. I went as usual, and bought some of the most beautiful orange/gold tomatoes. Their color was stunning and they looked perfect. I also got peaches and apples for eating and canning, but I was really looking foreward to tasting these beauties of tomatoes I cut up one of those tomatoes and it as the WORST tasting thing I have ever eaten. No wonder it made it through the heat and bugs this summer...It tasted like junk. Even the bugs won't eat that kind! I tried to give them to the neighbors dog, who LOVES tomatoes...one chomp, then he spit it out, and looked up at me like, "What'd you do that for? Do you have something else?" and walked away...

I couldn't even eat it in a sandwich. No wonder some people don't like tomatoes, if they taste like that. BLECK!

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Hmm...I had a tomato encounter like that too, but it was a yellow tomato variety. Personally, I think all tomatoes taste like junk this time of year...However, I've still got some out there growing right now...sheesh.

EG

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Same here. I tried out some yellow tomatoes for my 09 spring/summer garden and they left a lot to be desired. They grew beautiful, bright yellow tomatoes with a not so pleasant taste. I found they were bitter and never really had a taste I'd associate with a tomato. Thank goodness I only put in 6 plants and have a sister-in-law that actually liked them. She's strange that way!!!! :D Needless to say, I didn't plant any this past spring.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

The ones I grew this year were yellow and they were amazing. Which is why I kept their seeds. Also why I bought these particular ones at the market. Ugh but they were bad...

soil
Greener Thumb

I find the yellow ones taste much better when they are sundried. fresh they don't do much for me.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I don't think a lot of "orange" varieties exist. I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong. What does exist besides Kelloggs Breakfast and KBX? I hope the tomatoes you bought were not one of those. I have Kelloggs Breakfast plants growing in the garden for fall tomatoes. I have KBX seeds for growing next season. I really don't want to be disappointed with the taste of either though I understand they are almost identical with the KBX having slightly higher ratings.

It's always exciting to find something new and develop high expectations. The letdown is twice as bad when it is a total flop.

Ted

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Around 475 listed here

https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Category:Yellow_and_Orange_Tomatoes

There seem to be more more gold (orange) than yellow.

Aunt Gerties Gold is usually top of the list followed by KB and the newer KBX (Earl of Edgecombe is in the same flavor catagory IMO). They overshadowed the older Amana Orange and Nebraska Wedding. Yellow Brandywine Platfoot is also a strong flavored gold.

Most of the orange/yellows are pretty mild compared to reds & pinks which is why they aren't that popular/well known.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

engineeredgarden wrote:Hmm...I had a tomato encounter like that too, but it was a yellow tomato variety. Personally, I think all tomatoes taste like c**p this time of year..

EG
I pulled my tomato plants a little bit ago, but I'm still eating the ones that were picked green and ripened indoors. For me the end of the season ones both vine ripened and indoor ripened have been wonderful.

Somewhere in June I posted about eating my first early girls and being disappointed that they were bland and watery. All my tomatoes got a lot more flavorful later in the season. I don't know if that's an effect of the plant having been producing longer or if it might be a water effect. In May and June we got tons of rain. Then someone just turned the faucet off upstairs and we got no more rain after that, so the tomatoes only had the water I gave them. So I don't know if all the early rain made those tomatoes more bland and watery.

Anyway, I am loving my end of the season tomatoes!

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

ted - which other orange varieties are there? Amana Orange, for one, and I may still have seeds for them...I'll have to look..

rainbowgardener - really? That's strange, most of mine are very firm, and have seeds much larger than normal. Too much water will make tomatoes taste mealy and bland....

EG

tedln
Super Green Thumb

EG, I'm growing the Kelloggs Breakfast this fall with the KBX scheduled for the spring garden. While I am trying multiple blacks, I will only grow the two orange tomatos right now. At some point, the Amana orange might interest me, but I first want to see if Orange tomatoes even have a flavor that interests me.

I seems funny, but in my reading of reviews; the tomato colors seem to indicate a flavor type. Most people say the blacks have a "smoky" intense flavor with the intensity being different between varieties. I've read about the orange tomatoes having a more sweet and fruity taste with the intensity apparent between varieties. I grew a few pinks this past spring and they seemed to have a sweeter, less tomatoie, flavor. I am looking for the tomatoes which have the boldest tastes. I think the reds will most likely provide that old time acidic tomato taste while the blacks will have a more subdued tomato, but richer earthy taste.

Ted

Stepheninky

If you include cherry tomatoes Sungold is one of the highest rated tomatoes for flavor of all classes. It is a hybrid though if that matters.

But yes there are lots of them and most of the better known / flavored ones were listed already by TZ-OH6 only other well known one I would add to his list is Persimmon.

There is also Jubilee which is a hybrid thats been around a long time and is a really mild tasting tomato and not that great IMHO but that is the thing about tomatoes is that they come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and flavors and the reason they are still around and being grown is that someone liked them.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I've grown a hybrid cherry for years named Juliet which produced abundantly from early spring to late fall. The only reason I grew it was for people who would ask if I had any tomatoes throughout the year. I never was impressed with the flavor but some of our friends loved it and ask for it every year. I don't devote much space to cherry tomatoes because I am more interested in the larger tomatoes with good taste. This next spring, I am planning on growing a few Black Cherry plants because I would like our friends to try a cherry tomato that supposedly has outstanding flavor. I will probably continue to grow a couple of Juliet hybrids, but I am curious if peoples taste preference will move to the Black Cherry. Once you have experienced the best of anything, it is hard to return to a runner up.

Ted

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I think the reds will most likely provide that old time acidic tomato taste while the blacks will have a more subdued tomato, but richer earthy taste.
Ted,

I accidentally picked up and grew a mislabeled yellow tomato. I was never able to identify it. It was supposed to be aunt ruby's German green. It wasn't like any yellow tomato I've ever grown. It's flavor, IMHO, was as good as brandywine. It was an acidic yellow tomato with great balance. One of the best tasting out of 4 favorites this year. I saved seeds to grow next year. They were no comparison to those I bought at the market.

Funny thing... Those yuckies are still in my window sill... They haven't rotted yet. I've been trying to find something to use them up in, but they aren't worth cooking. Maybe I'll add them to some soup or something. I can't believe they lasted this long!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote:I've grown a hybrid cherry for years named Juliet which produced abundantly from early spring to late fall. The only reason I grew it was for people who would ask if I had any tomatoes throughout the year. I never was impressed with the flavor but some of our friends loved it and ask for it every year. I don't devote much space to cherry tomatoes because I am more interested in the larger tomatoes with good taste. This next spring, I am planning on growing a few Black Cherry plants because I would like our friends to try a cherry tomato that supposedly has outstanding flavor. I will probably continue to grow a couple of Juliet hybrids, but I am curious if peoples taste preference will move to the Black Cherry. Once you have experienced the best of anything, it is hard to return to a runner up.

Ted
I grew Black Cherry for the 1st time this year. I have enjoyed it but Dear Wife was the person who picked it out of a catalog -- I knew she wouldn't like it.

She likes tomatoes but they have to be mild . . . That's why she forced me to grow Yellow Pears, 4 years in a row. I had an enormous problem with Yellow Pears splitting!

Anyway, my tastes run to those sweet cherries but there have been very, very few tomato varieties, of any size, that I haven't enjoyed eating. DW has been a bit of a problem. But, I've had fun trying to make her happy and have 28 varieties this year as part of that process :wink:!

By the way, I agree with you 100% on the Juliets :roll: .

Steve

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”