tedln
Super Green Thumb

2011 Grow List!

Okay, I either have the seed or it is ordered for the following grow list for 2011. I have read reviews for all these tomatoes and they sound interesting to me. I have a few of them planted for my fall garden. If they produce and I am not impressed with them, I will take them off my grow list.

Any comments about the list will be appreciated.

BERKELEY TIE-DYE Mid-late to late, 75-90 days. indet. regular leaf plants. 8-16 oz. Fair to good production. Green fruit with yellow and red stripes.
BLACK & BROWN BOAR 75 days, indet., regular leaf, good yield of brownish green fruit, good flavorâ€

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Ted - Although N.A.R. tomatoes get really big, the taste was less than impressive for me. I'll likely not grow it in future years, because I value the taste of a tomato - not size.
I'll be trying Black from Tula for the first time next season, and can't wait to try it. At least 6 different varieties of Black tomatoes will be grown in my garden next year.

EG

tedln
Super Green Thumb

EG,

I am always reluctant to not grow a tomato more than once because the first grow didn't impress me. I often have years when every tomato in the garden tastes great. The next year, they all taste like cardboard. I've read a lot of good reports on the NER tomato and a few not so good. I've personally found if I only concentrate on growing for size, taste is sometimes sacrificed. I'm growing the NER to see if the two may be balanced in it.

If I decide not to grow any of those listed, I will probably grow more blacks. I have some Black Cherry seeds Gixx sent me and I understand they are great tasting. I have Cherokee Purple seed, but I am growing the Spudakee. I don't see the need to grow both this year. If I don't like the Spudakee, I will try the CP the following year.

I always order more seed than I need so maybe we can trade some later. Which black varieties are you growing next year?

Ted

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Looks like a good list.

Expect shorter maturity times than you have listed. Black Krim is usually 65 days for me, and Wes ripened at 65 days this year, but most things were very early this year. The latest varities you have listed are usually 75-80 days with decent conditions.

BLACK FROM TULA - Flavor reminded me of Cherokee Purple.

BLACK KRIM -- Favorite, consistent production all season, stronger earthy "Black" flavor than Cherokee Purple. More seeds and gel than beefsteaks.

BRANDYWINE SUDDUTH STRAIN - Keep your fingers crossed for production.

GIANT BELGIUM HEIRLOOM-- Problem with mislabeled seeds from one vender last year (TGS I think).

INDIAN STRIPE -- Nearly identical to Cherokee Purple, more but smaller fruit. Productive early then fades. Plant height 2/3 of most indeterminates.

MORTGAGE LIFTER- Acceptable flavor, late season production not good for me (few small fruit), may need more heat. Grown it twice, won't try again.

NEVES AZOREAN RED - Favorite of many, mine had minor problems when I grew it so I didn't get a good evaluation. I need to try again.

STUMP OF THE WORLD - Better than Mortgage Lifter, Not Brandywine, but a very good Pink.

Wes- Favorite heart, very big plant, good production, top flavor for a heart, good bulk tomato for sauces.

applestar
Mod

Wes- Favorite heart, very big plant, good production, top flavor for a heart, good bulk tomato for sauces.
I think I need to get Wes for next year. My BIL's name is Wes. I gave my MIL transplants I grew from seeds this spring and she loved it. Next to my MIL, Wes is the big tomato eater in the family. He's been giving me reviews on the ones I gave her. He's also the tallest at 6'2". :wink:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

In the drought that we had this year, both brandywine and Cherokee were terrible producers, and the taste of Cherokee was lousy!

I found the OSU, Hillbilly, and Pink Oxheart were the most productive with good flavor. The Peach Blow Sutton grew well, and produced but had BER.

Failures were: Grueso, Belgian Giant, Rutgers, Cherokee, and Brandywine: I won't be growing these in 2011. I may try them again in a later year. I have many that I want to try next year, so those 5 that failed so miserably won't get right back into the line up.

Yellow Stuffer, Banana Legs, and Risentraube did at least put forth a decent effort.

I am looking forward to trying even more tomato varieties in 2011 and I want to try some short season ones, to see if that works better having them produce before the real heat arrives.

The plants that volunteered from hybrids did nothing at all, they didn't even grow to full size!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That is a good list most of them I have grown or thought of.

Still working out my list I also still have seeds of everything I had this year.

You will love the black cherry's It is a very productive plant so give them room.

Still waiting for my Berkley tie dye and sweet corneos they were planted late.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Ted - I'm planning on growing cherokee purple, cherokee chocolate, black from tula, black krim, paul robeson, and black cherry. Gixx is right about the black cherry - they produce really well!
We'll definitely have to do some trading later!

EG

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I think that marglobes and rutgers were great tasting! Definitely worth growing again next year. I also saved seed from yellow pear, Cherokee purple, black prince, black krim, sugary, and the mystery yellow tomato. The yellows had amazing flavor, and it was one of the last toms standing. All of these are of course open pollinated. And I took no preventative measures to keep them seperate, so who knows what I'll get.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Lindsay I was thinking some yellows now you got me thinking harder.

So many choices.

Though I do love the blacks.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I couldn't tell you their name, could never get a proper ID. Even from the grower. I would gladly send you some seeds if you'd like. They were exceptional in flavor and texture. Much like brandywine. They were labled aunt ruby's German green, obviously a mislable. They were the most drought and disease resistant in the garden this year. Even resistant to BER. Impressive to say the least...

applestar
Mod

Two yellows I'll want to grow next year are

Yellow Bell, repeat from this year -- smattering of BER in the beginning but came through and most prolific --still have few out there now -- Not as huge as Polish Longuisa's 5" long meaty fruits but consistently 2~4" long, delicate peach like blush when ripe, thin skin, good in fresh salsa as well as cooked.

Hillbilly

Hmmm.... I think there was one other one from DV's list that I wanted to try.... have to go find my notes. Something Strawberry, maybe? 8).

Oh I might be persuaded about Sungold -- I think -- the hybrid that TZ said even the strict HL growers make room for... and I did get some tiny pear shaped toms from my MIL for seeds that she said was really sweet and good snacking and kids would love. Not sure if that would be Yellow Pear. these are the size of grape toms.

... Oh dear, I thought I was growing less toms next year, but my list keeps getting bigger! :roll:

geeboss
Newly Registered

List looks great I'll be growing many on your list for 2011 and will add Kosovo, Limbaugh Legacy, Chapman and Donskoi.

George

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Dono,

If the Black Cherries are as good as reported and produce as reported, they may replace my hybrid "Juliets" next year. Many people don't like the Juliets, but if you want a guarantee you will have tomatoes even in a horrible year; they do the job with reasonably good taste and great production all summer.

I continue to be intrigued with the yellows. Many people tell me most yellows beat the best of other colors hands down in taste tests. Next season will be dedicated to comparing black and pink varieties. I will be growing some reds simply to investigate size and see if size and taste can occur in the same tomato. For some reason, I have little interest in the white and green when ripe varieties. It almost seems sinful to eat a white or green tomato unless they are fried. I have a mental block against it.

TZ,

I don't have high expectations for good production from the Brandywines. Of all the varieties planted this year, the Brandywines and Prudens Purple were the only varieties that gave me anything close to decent production. The taste was not overwhelming, but they were tomatoes and they were large. I am growing some of the no producers in my fall garden in hopes the fall climate will be more agreeable for growing tomatoes. If I had room, I would grow more Prudens Purple next year simply to see if the taste improves in a good year.

I think the Brandywines and Prudens Purple varieties gave me some production because, after germination; the seedlings took off like race horses leaving the gate. They literally out raced the heat. They set blooms and fruit before the heat hit. All the other varieties were just making the decision to either bloom or die when the heat hit. They never had a chance.

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

geeboss wrote:List looks great I'll be growing many on your list for 2011 and will add Kosovo, Limbaugh Legacy, Chapman and Donskoi.

George
I'm not familiar with the Limbaugh Legacy, I'll look it up. How long have you been a tomato nut. Is it an affliction that hit recently or a long term condition dating back to your deprived childhood?

George, welcome to the forum. I forgot to mention that. I did look up the Limbaugh Legacy. It real name seems to be "Potato Top" which was also unknown to me. It seems to have some interesting attributes. I'm not sure if any commercial growers are selling seed for it yet. If you save seed, I may want to trade for some of them next year.

Ted
Last edited by tedln on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

applestar,

I think the yellow pear is a great tomato. If it was small, yellow, and shaped like a pear; I can't think of anything else it could be.

When I was a kid, the yellow pear tomato grew in my neighborhood like weeds. They were most prevalent in vacant lots. I always thought they were weeds with something on them that tasted good. I guess someone in my neighborhood had grown them in a garden and they escaped and created a self sustaining population. I didn't know what they were until I grew up and saw them on a list of varieties with photos.

Ted

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I can see how that could happen they were prolific to say the least. And they are small enough to travel. I would like to find some of the currant sized tomatoes. The itty bitty ones.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:I can see how that could happen they were prolific to say the least. And they are small enough to travel. I would like to find some of the currant sized tomatoes. The itty bitty ones.
I seem to remember a variety of current tomato that is native to some island. Possibly the Galapagos. Someone had acquired seed and was growing them.

"I found them. Here is the link for seed. https://www.tradewindsfruit.com/lycopersicon_cheesmanii.htm"

Here is another interesting one from the same source.

https://www.tradewindsfruit.com/cannibal_tomato.htm

Ted

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Thanks Ted!

I did a little looking and territorial and victory both have the seeds! Actually theirs are call red and yellow currant tomatoes. The size of peas! How cute. They are said to be fruity sweet. Local harvest has them listed on their site as well. I would love to get them as locally as possible :()

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Ted I would maybe plant at least one Juliet, just in case. I sure don't want you mad at me if something goes wrong with the B Cherries. :lol:

I will be planting at least one maybe 2 Isis Candy Cherry next year. Though probably only one and the rest black cherry. That is another great super productive one (the I C Cherry) I had one plant go probably 12 foot tall it was falling over so I took it out. I could get you some seed of that too.

I do plan on some trading this winter I just want to see what I really want for next year first.

Like Apple said my list keeps grwoing but my garden is not. :shock:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Sara's Galapagos

https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sara%27s_Galapagos

Not a true currant, but similar in size

https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Matt%27s_Wild_Cherry

tedln
Super Green Thumb

TZ,

I seem to remember a discussion concerning the fact that the Galapagos actually had two distinct species of native tomatoes. One was a true currant tomato. The other was a small cherry tomato. At some point in time, they crossed resulting in the Galapagos cherry of today. The true currant tomato can still be found on the islands beaches in normally small, but sometimes large, low patches. If I remember correctly, the currant species is endangered because it is one of the favorite foods of the Galapagos tortoise which eats the entire plant.

Does that ring any bells with you?

Also, did you happen to look at the "Cannibals Tomato" I posted a link to? I found it interesting that the leaves of the plant are used as salad greens. I thought the foliage of all tomato varieties is toxic.

Ted

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I was lucky enough to spend about a month on the islands and it sounds like marketing B.S. to me. The tortoises are very rare and tomatoes reproduce very quickly. The coastal areas generally have nasty desert conditions so any smart tomato would have higher populations in the interiors at higher elevations.

If they would have said goats (which are being removed from the islands) I might have considered the statement. Usually the story goes like this (Plant X is endangered because passage through the digestive tract of _____ [insert name of very rare animal] is needed for seed to germinate.)

The islands are protected and literally crawling with scientists so I wouldn't worry about anything going extinct.

Currant tomatoes, Solanum pimpinelifolium, occur on the Galapagos, but they are native to the mainland and are considered an alien invasive species on the islands. There may be another endemic tomato species in addition to S. cheesmani, but it is probably not even as edible as S. cheesmani (which doesn't have good flavor), so like most of the tomato species isn't of much concern to us.

It looks like Sarah's Galapagos may be across between a currant and a cherry tomato (not S. cheesmani). There are several towns scattered through the islands and anything growing in gardens almost certainly came over from the mainland (Ecuador) before they cracked down on import of plants and animals, so you might be able to find other garden "Heirlooms" coming out of there.

I have not heard of the cannibal's tomato before. I don't think it is closely related to true tomatoes (or potatoes). Solanum is a large world-wide genus so it doesn't surprise me if the leaves of some species are edible.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Gah!!!I just went through tatianna's... And tradewinds...and now I'm up to 17 cultivars in the shopping cart. Gonna have to do some serious culling in the garden and some serious rethinking if I'm gonna have that many. Need to see if I can get most of the ones I want from a more local catalog, too.

These are my choices (these are in addition to the seeds I already have saved from this year) I made. Mostly based on what I've heard around here for taste, some for WOW factor ;) and some because I just cant resist.

Zapotec pink ribbed
Voyage tomato
Transparent tomato
sungold cherry
Orange strawberry
Persimmon
red currant
red zebra
green zebra
San marzano II
Isis candy
Japanese Black Trifele
Aussie
Banani
Black cherry
Black pear
Bull's heart

And, that was me being conservative :roll: I will truely have to narrow it down to 10. I have a lot of cherry types on the list, so I need to narrow those down a good bit. I still want a lot of variety. :() On the plus side, shipping is free if your bill gets high enough :-() :eek:

I have seen the Garden Peach tomato in several catalogs, and I'm interested, but I don't even like the feel of peach skins in my mouth so, I didn't add them. Any experience with growing them? I think they are quite interesting 8) , and would at least open some eyes to diversity. I loved bringing some of the blacks, pinks, and yellows that I grew this year into the OR lounge. Some people just can't believe that tomatoes come in different colors and that they actually taste BETTER than the grocery store types. Peach fuzz on tomatoes would REALLY blow their minds!!! :roll: :()

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Lindsay, I wanted to investigate colors and sizes. Thats why my list is heavy in Blacks and beefsteak types. What was the criteria you used for your selection?

Ted

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I grew black for the first time this year( black krim, and also black prince) and I was blown away with their flavors. They were so different. In fact, a lot of the tomatoes I grew this year ( I think it was about 12 differnt heirlooms) gave me a variety of tastes and colors. I also love to share, and folks are truely interested in the strange. Colored and striped tomatoes are in fact different from what most folks feel is normal. The voyage tomato I saw last year at the market, but was unable to find seeds. Now that one would make a great addition to Duh_Vinci's picture book. I love the new, I love the unexpected, but I love the tried and true, too. The peach like tomatoes... Well, they would be a conversation piece :() ( as if I needed an excuse to talk MORE)

I also go on what's worked for me in the past and what folks say around here. There are several toms on my list that folks have raved about. Flavor to me is more important than showiness. If I grow a tomato this year with the wild colors, and it tastes like junk, It will be culled from the group.

I also do a lot of canning with tomatoes, so I look for varieties that are prolific. One reason why I kept seeds from my yellow pear. For yellow sauce and this year drying! I also wanted to have some large toms this year, to add bulk to my canning toms, and again, conversation ;)

ETA: I also added a few varieties that were developed in extremely hot and dry areas. As this year was WAY harsh on a lot of my plants.

Skian

Here is my rough list. I will need to narrow it down to 10-15. I am considering planting in containers if need be.
Small/Cherry:
Black Cherry
Glacier
Ghost Cherry
Gold Nugget
Green Grape
Kimberly
Prairie Fire
Yellow Pear
Medium:
Black Prince
Chocolate Stripe
Cream Sausage
Fireworks
Moonglow
Nebraska Wedding
Oregon Spring
Orange Strawberry
Red Rocket
Stupice
Large:
Big Raspberry
Black From Tula
Black Krim (repeat)
Great White
Hillbilly
Oaxacan Jewel

I'm looking for a variety of color, shape, size and fruit maturity.
Of course flavor is a big factor.
Mild flavor is not an option.
I am looking for excellent, outstanding, superb, fuity and sweet flavors.
Any input would be great to help narrow this list.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That's quite a list skian.

Not sure if you have a lot of pots or not. But I went to a few local nursery's this year and ended up with a ton of all different size pots. The ones they were the least worried about keeping were the big ones that trees or shrubs had come in. They are great for large veggies like tomatoes. Just an idea if you would want to explore that. I almost forgot to add that the gave them to me, free pots you just can't beat that.

Skian

Thanks for the tip. Late summer is a great time to go to the nursery.
They have great deals this time of year.
Most on my tomatoes will be planted in raised beds or garden.
But to satisfy 10-15 off that list I have to consider containers too.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I've been working on my list since June, and I've finally narrowed it down to 6 newbies and 4 repeats. *newbies: orange fleshed purple smudge, japanese oxheart, purple calabash, aunt gerties gold, mexico, and malachite box (has a russian real name--I prefer the english). *repeats: green zebra (performed so bad I must give it another shot), red brandywine (ditto), green giant, to be determined (could be siletz, prudens purple, giant belgium, or red rose.)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”