Sweetldy
Newly Registered

WHO or WHAT is eating my Tomatoes

I live in the city. very populated

I put chicken wire all the way around my tomatoes and ON TOP because something is eating my tomatoes when they turn red, they don't eat the green ones. This occurs at night. :? can't figure it out, is is bunnies, possums. Whatever it is, it eats about 1/2 of the tomatoe while on the vine, so not close to the ground.

I feel like I should do like Granny of the Beverly Hillbillies and sit with a shotgun one night. Not really, but I am so mad. :x

How do I protect my tomatoes ??????????????

Diane

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It could be mice. They can easily get through the spaces in chicken wire. Or it might be snails or slugs.

Have you gone outside late at night with a flashlight and examined the plants? That way, you would at least know if you were dealing with snails or slugs or some type of caterpillar. If you didn't secure your chicken wire to the ground, then something might be sneaking underneath it. Or as I mentioned, a mouse can go right through it easily. :)

Sweetldy
Newly Registered

I don't think it is a slug or snail, unless they come in a group because they eat a large portion of the tomatoe, very large portion, but thanks for the response.

what should I put around my tomatoes to keep animals out?

Diane

Sweetldy
Newly Registered

nnnnnn

applestar
Mod

If it IS mice, you'll probably have to down-size to hardware cloth.

No leaves are being eaten? No half eaten green fruits? [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=90120#90120]Hornworms[/url] can do a surprising amount of damage.... Here's another set of [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159751#159751]hormworm damage photos[/url].

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”