gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Funny you say that Apple I put onions, garlic and basil all around my tomatoes. It is said to help but not this year it didn't :lol: Oh yeah peas I also planted them next to my cages a little later in the spring they didn't do so well so late but what the heck right. I told you we think alike. :wink: :P

Tedln I don't know how much garlic you planted but you said you came up with too much. That's good to know because as I said in another thread I just bought some garlic and I am going to have way more than a few households could use. I can't wait. :lol:

applestar
Mod

I found out that when you start pickling, you can make quite a dent in your garlic inventory. :wink:

This also means if you INTEND to grow a lot of pickling items -- cukes, summer squash, radish, also beans, carrots, you should plant garlic this fall and start making plans for onions.

I'm going to plant a lot more onions. I'm thinking of starting some this fall also, like rainbowgardener. I wonder if she's planting seeds or sets?

ETA -- that reminded me that I ended up with some goofy subpar onions. Maybe I should try planting those this fall. I'm pretty sure these are not the right variety onions for my area however.... :? Now what did I do with the Red Whethersfield seeds that I collected earlier.... 8) I have OL's Egyptian onion topsets too, and my order of Elephant and Music garlic came... which is a bit confusing because I'm not supposed to plant those until at least Columbus Day.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I planted onion seeds!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Went to plant my onion seeds today...The ones that I dried and then painstakingly picked out of their minute little husks. I would say, OHhhh, about 100 seeds from like 5 pom-pom flowers. went to sit them down in the grass...lost my balance, (very slightly, I had a hoe and a rake in the other arm) overcorrected and slung every dang one of them out of the little cup I had them in. Right into the lawn... :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry:

What a shame. Imma have to find some seeds somewhere now :roll: Sigh...

We put lots of garlic in our pickles. I can go through 2 medium heads in just one batch of dills. I use it a lot in chutneys too.

keen gardener

Hi
There is a tomatoe in Australia called Shady Lady, she actually grows well in the shade. It may be under a different name in America. Your local nursery might know.
Good luck
Keen Gardener in Australia

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”