gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Part shade for tomatoes what do you think?

I have a perfect spot for tomatoes next year, that being where no nighshades were this year. Unfortunately that area is a bit shady. It gets full sun in the morning than a bit of shade till around midday than sun again than a little shade again but full sun in the afternoon.

I would think, though I haven't timed it, that is would get at least 8 if not more hours of sun during the day. I'm a teeny bit worried about not having all day sun which is how I have grown them forever. Though with the heat wave of this year maybe that shaded time will make them stronger. Than again the shaded time might have a higher mold type disease effect.

Any comments, this was actually my lettuce bed this year due to the partial shading.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Mine all grow in part shade with about the same cycle that you're describing. The vines are robust and I had a bumper crop this year, with very few fungal issues, no Anthracnose, and no blight.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Should be fine. With our heat and drought, I think my tomatoes benefitted this year from not being in full sun.

MG where you are the fungal conditions may be mostly related to poor air circulation. Where I am, where most of the summer the humidity is to the point you have to drink the air rather than breathe it, fungus comes anyway. But I agree that some shade is probably still not a major factor.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Dono,

I've found this year that shade works well for tomatoes. I wasn't able to get cuttings to grow roots before the hot sun killed them. I placed a sheet of plywood at an angle to protect the cuttings and they are doing great.

I replaced the plywood with some old sliding door screens which allow the plants to receive some sunlight. I started by using a double layer of the screens which allows minimum light through. The plants love it. They are growing better and faster than plants in my unshaded beds. I will eventually remove one of the screens and leave one. The plants won't get full sun, but apparently it is all they need. Because the fall sun is at a more extreme angle than the spring sun, it seems to cause more sun scald on unprotected tomatoes. I'm hoping a single layer of screen will protect them from the strong sun.

In general, it seems my tomatoes flourish with some shade.

Ted

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Due to my location, a little bit of shade actually helps my plants once the dog days of summer arrive. I think your location will work great....

EG

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

When we lived in pa, our only gardening area was under a huge oak tree. We got full sun till about 2:30 in the afternoon when the sun tipped behind the tree canapy, then dappled sun till around 4 when it dipped behind the house roof line. Great crops both years at that place. IMO, as long as you get enough morning sun to dry off the dew, shade should cause you disease! I think you'll benefit from some shade if next year is anything like this year :()

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks all that's what I was hoping to hear. I kinda figured it just wanted someone else to say it.

Sure this aint Texas but it gets hot as all get out here too just a little less. It's the humidity that really gets us like RBG said. Not sure if the sun would really have an effect on limiting spore growth or not. When it's that humid I don't think anything matters. I just need to be more proactive with the milk treatments and such.

It's all set than I have it somewhat mapped out and can't wait for next year. :D

By the way talking about airflow I live in a wind tunnel. So why is always' still when it's 100 and blowing 30 mph when it's 20? That is a joke question, I know about low and high pressure and all that, just someone, somewhere got those backwards I must say. :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Now where to put the lettuce? This in the only part of my gardens that doesn't get sun from sunup to sundown. :lol: Just kidding I'll make it work. :lol:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Ou could plant your lettuces in between and around your tomatoes. And your Cole crops too :()

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I think you'll do just fine but, I planted some maters at the west end of the garage where they only got about 6 hours of mid-day sun and they were terrible! :shock: Spindly and almost no production. Out of 4 plants I picked maybe 10 tomatoes. I'm glad it was just an experiment and a bulk of my plants were in the main garden. I'm thinking maybe zukes and some other squash might do well in the same area next year though.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Lindsay never fear, the lettuce in between the tom's is already there, well it will be next year. :wink:

Hit or miss mine will get more than that and at different times I think they will be good. But again never fear I'm sure with the amount of tom's I will plant there will still be some in the full sun.

Heck with the way things went this year if I didn't plant any tomatoes I might do better.

No kidding, I still have volunteers coming up and have let a few grow to see what happens.

Not to mention the free seeds from the giveaway they are still in their prime hoping for the best on those. They were planted super late.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Hey Dono,

Do you remember those Black From Tula seeds you sent me back in early June I think. I germinated them as well as some JD's Special C Tex and the Sweet Carneros Pink from the seed give away. I think I planted all three in early July. All three have just sat there barely growing two or three inches through all the hot weather. I wasn't sure they would even survive the hot weather. Now with the cooler weather, they are really taking off. I think I will be able to taste all three varieties for the first time this fall. I used my sand shaker and planted a mixed greens packet around those plants the other day. If the tomatoes produce and the mixed greens do well, I will have a nice salad from that bed this fall. I almost forgot I also planted some more cucumbers on a trellis behind the tomatoes. I guess I will name that bed, my salad bed if everything makes.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That is good ted I hope you get some, and enjoy them. I planted the seeds from the giveaway around that time they have given me fruit but not worth keeping yet but as you said they are still growing and I'm hoping for the best.

It aint over yet. :D

applestar
Mod

Ted - pop some onions and garlic in there for green onions and garlic greens. You might as well have the full spread. :wink:

Oh! Snowpeas too! :lol:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Applestar,

I did forget to mention I have bell peppers in that bed as well as all the other stuff. The onions have been planted in two other beds and are growing very well. The garlic I harvested in early June is still hanging in three braided strands and slowly being consumed. I don't think I will plant garlic this year for next years harvest. I didn't think I planted much garlic last fall, but I harvested a lot more than we will ever use.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Funny you say that Apple I put onions, garlic and basil all around my tomatoes. It is said to help but not this year it didn't :lol: Oh yeah peas I also planted them next to my cages a little later in the spring they didn't do so well so late but what the heck right. I told you we think alike. :wink: :P

Tedln I don't know how much garlic you planted but you said you came up with too much. That's good to know because as I said in another thread I just bought some garlic and I am going to have way more than a few households could use. I can't wait. :lol:

applestar
Mod

I found out that when you start pickling, you can make quite a dent in your garlic inventory. :wink:

This also means if you INTEND to grow a lot of pickling items -- cukes, summer squash, radish, also beans, carrots, you should plant garlic this fall and start making plans for onions.

I'm going to plant a lot more onions. I'm thinking of starting some this fall also, like rainbowgardener. I wonder if she's planting seeds or sets?

ETA -- that reminded me that I ended up with some goofy subpar onions. Maybe I should try planting those this fall. I'm pretty sure these are not the right variety onions for my area however.... :? Now what did I do with the Red Whethersfield seeds that I collected earlier.... 8) I have OL's Egyptian onion topsets too, and my order of Elephant and Music garlic came... which is a bit confusing because I'm not supposed to plant those until at least Columbus Day.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I planted onion seeds!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Went to plant my onion seeds today...The ones that I dried and then painstakingly picked out of their minute little husks. I would say, OHhhh, about 100 seeds from like 5 pom-pom flowers. went to sit them down in the grass...lost my balance, (very slightly, I had a hoe and a rake in the other arm) overcorrected and slung every dang one of them out of the little cup I had them in. Right into the lawn... :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry:

What a shame. Imma have to find some seeds somewhere now :roll: Sigh...

We put lots of garlic in our pickles. I can go through 2 medium heads in just one batch of dills. I use it a lot in chutneys too.

keen gardener

Hi
There is a tomatoe in Australia called Shady Lady, she actually grows well in the shade. It may be under a different name in America. Your local nursery might know.
Good luck
Keen Gardener in Australia

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”