malkore
Cool Member

Big boy plants produced small tomatoes

I think this is either a watering issue or nutrient issue.

I didn't have any real issues with blossom end rot except for the one container plant.

These were all 'big boy' plants, started from seed. Many of the first tomatoes were good sized, but from mid-production up until now (I still have some green ones left to ripen on the vine) the majority of the tomatoes have been no larger than a tennis ball...yet taste fine and are juicy.

Not enough N, P, or K added once they started blooming? This was the first time growing tomatoes, and we had to prep the ground in March of this year.

zone 5a

thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would agree that it could be a nutrient shortage. Tomatoes are known to be heavy feeders. :)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've heard that tomatoes uptake the nutrients they need for fruit production prior to producing. If this is so, than it would be logical to conclude that your plants were deprived of the necessary nutrition early on in their growth and that is now showing in the fruit-set.

Although, you did say that you prepped your ground early this year, so a nutritional deficiency should not be a problem. What exactly did you do to your ground?

malkore
Cool Member

I had to remove the sod (in late Feb), then I dug it down the depth of the fork tines and flipped it over, broke it up (lot of clay here) and then put compost on top.

I started my seeds too early so that was probably a problem too. Probably by 2 weeks.

I only gave them some Miracle Grow once, probably another mistake.

But I'm learning!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”