GreeneGarden
Newly Registered

Yellow Jackets on my yellow plum tomatoes

For the last couple of weeks I have been finding yellow jackets all over my yellow tomatoes. Yesterday I went to pick one and got stung. I always grow these tomatoes but this is the first year I've had bees on them. Has any one else had this problem?

microcollie
Green Thumb

Sorry about the sting, but in the big picture, yellow jackets are a beneficial insect, as they prey on many garden pests. You may want to give you tomato plants a thorough inspection to see if there's anything there that might be attracting them.
They build new nests each year, so there could be a nest somewhere nearby, which would explain why you haven't seen them in years past.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

A week ago my wife was hit 3 times by yellow jackets while picking cucumbers. I did find 3 separate nests when I pulled the vines a couple days later prior to replanting new cucumber plants. I also found a couple several weeks ago in my pole bean patch.

Just this morning while finishing up yard work I saw where some bushkiller vine that has gotten out of control was hanging over my fence from a neighbor's yard. While trying to cut it, a huge swarm of yellow jackets took flight. I got a rake and moved the vine enough to see a nest about the size of a baseballl under the foliage. I've had my share of them this year and their sting can be quite painful.

I do like them flying around the garden since they are beneficial, but running into a whole nest of them is another thing entirely.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”