gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Woo Hoo glad to hear someone is getting something. Hope you enjoy them. Oh and grab a jacket and get afire started too.

We are getting a cool down this week as well. Suppose to be in the mid to upper 50's tonight. Brrrrrrrrr

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Nighttime temps are starting to drop for me, too. But, I'm not complaining (for now) because my heirlooms seem to be slow to ripen while the day and nighttime temps are high.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

The fruit that i've been getting over the past couple of weeks has just been horrible. They are diseased like crazy, and I'm resorting to pulling them while still green, then letting them ripen in the kitchen window. I hope it makes a difference...

EG

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

engineeredgarden wrote:The fruit that i've been getting over the past couple of weeks has just been horrible. They are diseased like crazy, and I'm resorting to pulling them while still green, then letting them ripen in the kitchen window. I hope it makes a difference...

EG
My tomatoes are splitting. I pick them early also, for that reason, and because the squirrels find the ripe ones before I do.
Nutin as good as a kitchen sink mater sammich

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I'm planting most of the varieties I planted in the spring by planting cuttings. I just want to see what some of the heirloom varieties look like even if they don't get as large as spring grown tomatoes. Most of them didn't even get a chance to bloom before the heat hit.

I think I have solved my problem getting cuttings to root in the ground. When I first started trying to grow from cuttings, I would stick them in the prepared soil and they would wilt and die by the end of the second day. I placed a sheet of plywood leaning over the cuttings to prevent the sun from frying them. They seem to love it. We are supposed to have another cool front coming through next weekend so that is when I plan on removing the plywood and letting the cuttings fend for themselves. Their roots should be established well enough by then.

I have also been cutting my spring planted tomatoes back in order to force new growth.

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The cooler weather has caused my tomatoes to grow some new leaves. I thought my tomatoes were all dead from blight. I also have several volunteer tomatoes coming up. We usually have frost about Mid October if I keep them covered I can probably have tomatoes in Nov and Dec.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote:I'm planting most of the varieties I planted in the spring by planting cuttings. I just want to see what some of the heirloom varieties look like even if they don't get as large as spring grown tomatoes. Most of them didn't even get a chance to bloom before the heat hit.

I think I have solved my problem getting cuttings to root in the ground. When I first started trying to grow from cuttings, I would stick them in the prepared soil and they would wilt and die by the end of the second day. I placed a sheet of plywood leaning over the cuttings to prevent the sun from frying them. They seem to love it. We are supposed to have another cool front coming through next weekend so that is when I plan on removing the plywood and letting the cuttings fend for themselves. Their roots should be established well enough by then.

I have also been cutting my spring planted tomatoes back in order to force new growth.

Ted
By George, I think you've got it, Ted!

When I think about it, all the suckers that I have success with are stuck in my compost-dirt pile.....which is partially shaded! In fact, I have a plant growing in there that was started from a cutting and is covered in foliage and growing very well.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”