sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

cherokee purple question

OK, I've heard lots of recommendations for this variety due to taste. but are they a great producer? I think I had one of them in a mixed seed packet and I got maybe 3 tomatoes from it and that was all. it looked just like a cherokee purple and the packet said that there could be some of those in the packet. but 3 tomatoes only? where I had other plants that produced like crazy? granted there were a couple other plants right in that area that also didn't do that great so maybe I didn't get as much compost in that spot? IDK! everything else produced like mad. and everything was in the same area as well.

applestar
Mod

It's a great tasting tomato, you just gotta try it to believe. And a great beauty when the fruit turns out perfect. :D

But it has been prone to concentric cracking in my garden. :? I'm still growing it again next year, I think, but I'll also be trying Suddukee on DV's and someone else's (was it you, Gixx? TZ?) recommendation. I *think* he said it's supposed to be a stable cross between Brandywine Sudduth and Cherokee Purple. 8)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

CP is an average to good producer, and generally not temperamental. It doesn't grow as big as most other indeterminants (about 2/3-3/4 as tall) and tends stop production late in the season here.

Spudakee is a potatoleaf "version" of CP (I haven't grown it). Gary'O Sena is one of the Brandywine x CP offspring, and is the same dark color. It is very good.

Indian Stripe is almost identidal to CP except that the fruits are a bit smaller and more numerous (total weight per plant mighty be the same).

applestar
Mod

:oops: Totally mixed them up I guess :oops: Sorry about that. That's what happens when post without reviewing my notes! :roll: Again, my apologies.

p.s. Incidentally, I did initially spell that "Spudukkee" with a P, then took it out and changed it because of the Sudduth/Cherokee thing, so I had a vauge notion that something wasn't right.... :wink:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

No worries, easy mistake to make. There are several potatoleaf things with Spud in the the name (e.g. Spudatula). They are from a grower who goes by the handle Spudleafwillie. Baker Creek independently released a potatoleaf CP at about the same time as Spudakee. I can't remember any details of when or if they have been grown side by side.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

OK, so I thought about getting the CP and the brandywine... I'm done with the german johnsons I think. just too many issues for me this year and I don't love their flavor so it wasn't worth it to me with all the catfacing and the weird ripening and the decaying, etc etc... but I'm wondering if I should try the cross between the two instead? or should I just get both. I can't decide!!! I wish I could taste them all first HAHA.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I haven't tasted the Cherokee Purples that I have, they are poor producers at best, I rank them in last place! They are ugly, look like muddy fruit. I sure hope they taste better than they look or produce. Not impressed at all.
They are under the exact same conditions as the others, and I have tomatoes producing 6-8 regular sized tomatoes, in this drought, while Cherokee is still working on the first one, no splitting, just not productive.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I grew them I had way more than 5 fruit per plant. BUT, that's a big but. Due to whatever reason they all split and had concentric rings so bad that probably 75% of them were tossed due to being so tore up and rotten.

Another big BUT the ones that came out good were very good. I am still contemplating doing them again. I have enough seeds.

Oh and forget getting a catalog to decide this year I'm using the D_V 2010 tomatoes buyer's guide found [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26730&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45]here[/url]. If you haven't seen it do it it's from one of our members. on pg. 4 there are some great shots of Spudakee, check it out.

I WILL be growing this next year.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

what does PL mean??

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

PL = potatoleaf, RL = regular leaf, whispy leaf = whispy leaf :P

Many people think that the potatoleaf forms resist fungal diseases better, and I think that there is some psychological thing about better taste because so many of the PL varieties are really good so back yard breeders get excited when one of their varieties "changes" from RL to PL.

Yogas
Cool Member

My Cherokee Purple tomatoes were wonderful. I will definitely grow them again next year. I got quite a few before my plant died of blight.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

excellent!! ty!

yeah, my mom got a tomato plant and I couldn't figure out why the leaves were diff. HAHA. def is potato leaf. it is pretty! I love the way the leaves look.

applestar
Mod

Gixx, I was going to look for that thread. Thanks for posting the link. I need to update my 2011 Tomato Wishlist too. :wink:

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

My CP plants didn't produce as many fruit as others, but it's still a keeper in my book. The Brandywine produced like crazy, though! :shock:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

engineeredgarden wrote:My CP plants didn't produce as many fruit as others, but it's still a keeper in my book. The Brandywine produced like crazy, though! :shock:
A bit off track here but as you said my CP's did alright. But my Brandywines did better with less fruit but more perfect (BIG) fruit. These were seeds from D_V. That will be another staple for next year.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I have my seed for next years Spudakee and CP. I haven't grown either yet, but I am considering dropping the CP to make room for some others. My thought is if the Spukakee is identical to the CP in taste, but more productive; why grow the CP. I want room to grow some Neves Azorean Reds and some Wes. Gotta delay a few for a couple of years.

Ted

applestar
Mod

That was my thought and hesitation, also, Ted. I haven't decided yet, though.... :|

vermontkingdom

Well, I had never grown CP until this summer and my experience has been wonderful. I've gotten many large tasty fruit and will certainly plant them again next year. I planted about twenty tomato varieties this year, mostly heirloom, and with the exception of stupice and sophie's choice, I plan to plant the same ones next year.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”