DiggingEarth
Newly Registered

Matt's Wild Cherry Tomato

Let me start with the statement, I am not a fan of cherry or grape tomatoes. Until this year I had never tasted any except the overly sweet ones you can get at the grocery store. This year we grew an heirloom variety of grape tomato (I think it looks more like what I envision a grape tomato to be rather than cherry) called Matt’s Wild Cherry. These tomatoes have a full tomato taste in a small package.

Matt’s Wild Cherry is a fast growing cherry tomato. This plant produces wonderfully high yields of these perfect little fruits. Red cherry tomatoes about ½ inch in size, but big on sweet tomato flavor. A kid favorite! It is a cherry type which matures in about 70 days. It is rare that these tomatoes make it into the house as we all tend to snack on them fresh off of the vine.

As we continue to harvest and taste test new tomatoes I will post what we think.

All the best
John

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Matt's is a good one, and one of the few varieties that are resistant to Late Blight, but its not a grape tomato. Grape tomatoes are oblong, like a Thompson grape, Matt's is closer to a currant tomato in (Solanum pimpinellifolium) in looks and flavor. currant tomatoes are little pea sized things, Hawaiian Currant is another variety like Matts, although neither is small enouth (or the right species) to be a true currant tomato.

They are favorites for wildlife (birds I guess) to move around. I find them growing as volunteers far away from where I had them planted.

DiggingEarth
Newly Registered

TZ -OH6, Thanks for the input. It is great to get more info on this one. We read all we could about heirlooms and this was one we picked and have really enjoyed. Thanks

-John

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I just made a mental note to give Matt's Wild Cherry a try next year. I keep wanting to limit the varieties that I plant, but yall keep telling me about all these great varieties. What's a gardener to do?

applestar
Mod

Expand your garden space? :wink:
Oh but you're already hanging over the water... How about a floating garden? 8). ... Hey it could work! Some solar fountains to pump the lake water up and water the plants... Row up to it to tend and harvest... A larger version of Aquaponic floating planter.... :lol:

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Expand your garden space? :wink:
Oh but you're already hanging over the water... How about a floating garden? 8). ... Hey it could work! Some solar fountains to pump the lake water up and water the plants... Row up to it to tend and harvest... A larger version of Aquaponic floating planter.... :lol:
Not sure how much farther over the water I can go. While I was gone one weekend my wife noticed something rather strange. She was inside most of the day and had not shown any sign that we were home. About 1pm she noticed a pontoon boat coming toward the pier tomato boxes. That was not unusual as we have viewers often. This boat, however, stopped at the pier, three people jumped out, and helped themself. It was not where she could run out of the house to yell at them, but I would have. The tomatoes were bout gone, so what they got were not the best, BUT, We were gone during July for two straight weekends, prime tomato picking time. I am wondering if these folks had helped themself then as well.

Next year I will have a game camera at the pier to get pictures of the "most wanted"

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”