Dany_mex
Cool Member

Cherry tomato transplant

Hi,

Well today I transplanted my cherry tomato seedlings, they had already 4 leaves each so I decided it was a good time to transplant them.

I added just soil to the pot and I added a little fertilizer, I put some gravel on top just for decoration which I don't know if I made a mistake by doing that.

Anyway here are some pics.

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00660-20100818-1655.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00658-20100818-1629.jpg[/img]

Cheers.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Hi, well I guess I really messed it up because today my cherry seedling looked reaaaaally weak and the plants looked a little yellow, I think I shouldn't have fertilized so I transplanted one more time to another pot with no fertilizer, just soil I hope they survive.

This is how they look in the new but temporary pot.

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00667-20100821-1504.jpg[/img]

Cheers.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

A couple of concerns

1) Depending on variety, most cherries can get ten or twenty feet tall so I hope you are not going to grow multiple plants in one pot.

2) For first tranplant it is better if you plant them down to or covering the seed leaves, so your plants could have waited a while (grown larger) before transplant.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Yes I know they get really big, that's why I just transplanted them in the pot for a temporary time because I had them in a DIY super tiny seed starter pot and there wasn't any more room for their roots.

What tips can you give me, or should I just wait and time will tell.

One more question, how often should I water the little plants and how can I tell that the soil is still wet.

Cheers.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Watering small plants in large heavy pots is difficult because you can't gauge the moisture easily. The bottom could be soaked while the top is dry. Plants can pull moisture out of soil that seems very dry to us. A plant can be fine in a very light weight pot with seemingly dry soil, and can recover if you water it soon after it wilts, so if the soil seems dry all the way down (stick your finger in) and the plant still looks good go ahead and water. If the soil seems moist don't water. With newly transplanted seedlings you will need to keep the soil moist for the first week for the plant to grow some new roots.

Based on the grouping in the first picture the plants could stay in the seedling pot quite a bit longer. It doesn't matter how bound up the roots seem. Many of us start seeds densly planted as you did and wait until the first true leaves get quite large. Pulling them apart, and tearing up the roots a bit in the process doesn't bother the plants and helps them regrow a beneficial fiberous root system. Then using light weight plastic 3-4" pot or drink cup for each seedling helps you guage soil moisture by weight.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”