Zapatay

When are tomatoe plants finished producing?

When do you know the plant is done producing fruits?

By date?
By Qty of fruits provided? I've easily picked 6 to 7 dozens now....
By appearance of plant? The once large and super green plant appears to be getting "thin"

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mine usually keep producing right up until frost. When I know a frost is coming, I pick all the green tomatoes to ripen inside.

Otherwise if you keep them watered and fed and disease free, they should keep going fine until then... not at peak productivity especially as the hours of daylight shorten, but keep going.

applestar
Mod

It also depends on whether they're determinate or indeterminate. The leaves of my determinate toms are starting to yellow and dry up from bottom up. Natural senescence. They'll hang onto the last of the fruits and try to ripen them, but the last fruits will tend to spoil faster. I'm starting to bring them in pink. I cut off the leaves as they wilt and dry up. These can go in the compost.

Zapatay

They are beginning to yellow and dry up from the bottom.
I've watered and top dressed the soil but it really hasn't changed.

I was a little excited by the idea of using the spot to grow brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli or something like that ..

applestar
Mod

Sounds like mine.

I just pick what fruits they have then -- off with their heads! :lol: (I lop them off at ground level, put down a layer of fresh compost and work around the roots without digging them up.) Time to plant something else and give its neighbors a chance to soak up some sun. :wink:

Nick D

I'm leaving my indeterminates where they are for now; they're starting to put out new growth again, so I may get one more big wave before fall.

Biggest non-bug problem so far this season has been the heat...the last six to eight weeks have been high 90s F every day, with the occasional pop-up thunderstorm thrown in to make sure the few tomatoes that tried to grow in the heat cracked almost all the way around.

My romas have been done for a while, but I will do them again next year...at their peak they easily were kicking out a dozen a day--from TWO plants!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It has been a bad year.

But have some hope. I will leave mine till there is nothing left. This hot, dry weather has to break soon. Doesn't it? :roll: :cry:

I have pulled a few potted tom's and even a few in ground tom's. But I leave them till there is no hope at all. I have a few up front that have almost zero leaves on them, but I just want to give them a chance.

It is way too early of scrapping the whole mission. But if you have a one or two here and there that just aren't gonna make it for sure. Pull them and let the surrounding plants have some more room.

Some are even planting new cuttings though it's getting late for that unless you have an extended summer or fall even.

Oh, dreaming of a new start, next year, yeah that's it!!! Next Year!!! -helpsos- -wall-

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”