Yogas
Cool Member

Split tomatoes -are they safe?

If I pick a tomato that has a split in it, is it unsafe to eat?

applestar
Mod

I think it depends on how long it's been that way. If it happened overnight or during the day, and no bugs have gotten at it, then it's probably safe. If enought time for mold/bacteria to have been at it, the split edges will be shriveled and softened.

If it's a bit dicey, I just cut the split section away in a V with a sharp knife. No biggie.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Yes, it's safe. Usually the wound forms a callus, but if the flesh has been compromized by bacteria, fungi and or fruit flies it will look bruised runny and rotten very quickly, just cut that part out.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

If it's not rotten, I eat it. If it is, I cut it away....and eat what's left. Unfortunately, there hasn't been much left lately :roll:.

AkeenGardener

I think its fine to eat them although if you leave them too long, they can get a bit of mould inside-which you can see (and taste) so check carefully.
I have had a lot of split tomatoes this year and I think its because of hit and miss watering-if you arent consistent and let the soil dry, thats when you get splitting in my experience. :wink:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”