GardenJester

Am I eating too much tomatoe?

for dinner tonight, I had gazpacho, tomatoe and buffalo mozzarella salad, and a tomatoe sandwich with a side of ratatouille. can you OD on tomatoe? I seem to remember some urban legend about turning orange from eating too much tomatoe. :P

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Probably just that, urban legend. The only side effect I've ever experienced from overindulging in tomatoes is a bit of heartburn from all the acid associated with them and one time after eating tons of tomatoes in a 2 day period I experienced a couple of small mouth ulcers. Could have been strictly coincidence with the mouth ulcers though.

I ate quite a few tomatoes this past summer and no ill effects from the salsas, salads, gravies etc. that I made with them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope... the worst that could happen is IF you are prone to heartburn or acid reflux, the acid in the tomatoes could aggravate that. I eat tomatoes every day during tomato season (NOW! :) ) and never have any ill effects.

The turning orange thing is about carrots. Carrots (and other things high in beta carotene like squash and sweet potatoes) can turn your skin somewhat orange if you OD on them, a condition called carotenemia. I actually saw a case of this, a client who had decided to live almost entirely on juiced carrots.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I probably eat 2-3 pounds a day during the season with no ill effects as long as I eat low acid ones. High acid ones tear up my mouth. My tongue is still sore from one I ate last night.

There was the Korean? lady a few months ago that overdosed on BokChoy because of the chemical in cabbage vegetables that affects the thyroid.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I think you will be fine like everyone said mostly a tummy ache is all you will get.

BUT everything in moderation as well. Too much of one thing as in nature is not good. If you are eating other things it will all balance out. But I could see an all tomato diet not being good for you.

Tomatoes are about all I eat lately for break and lunch at work. I work outside and it's too hot for heavy food. I just eat my cherry's and other tomatoes at work mainly. I'm still kickin'.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”