slowpoke2
Newly Registered

white fine hairs on blossom stems is this mormal?

I have fine white like hairs on the stems to my tomato blossoms. My blossoms are also falling off. are these hairs normal[/list]

Anna63

Try to:
Timely and regular cut lower branches and leaves;
Increase the quantity of potassium;
Spray plants with fungicides;
Water plants so taht they are dry till evening.

Good luck!

applestar
Mod

Tomato plants are born with peach fuzz :wink: They have the fine white hairs as a seedling and they have them on their flower stems. So yep, that's normal. The flowers are probably falling off right now because it's too hot for the blossoms to set (become pollinated).

Pruning the lower leaves is a controversial technique. Less foliage = less energy from photosynthesis. But generally, in humid areas, it's considered better to provide more air circulation. On the other hand, more leaves on the bottom means less sun pouring onto the plant and cooler roots. But diseased foliage should be removed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The hairs are normal. Some people have even theorized that they provide some extra food for the tomatoes by catching small insects which get trapped in them, die, fall to the ground and are absorbed into the soil.

Blossom drop is not "normal" though it is not uncommon. There's a sticky about it at the top of this Forum. It's a stress reaction, where the plant drops the blossoms to focus on survival. Excess heat is one of the stressors that can cause it.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”