mattie g
Green Thumb

First Fruits from Seed

That's right, I'm tooting my own horn here. I have officially seen three ripe Romas on the only plant that survived my first attempt at growing anything from seed!

I tried growing Romas, Better Boy, and some sort of cherry from seed, but once I transferred the seedlings (five of each) to slightly larger peat pots, they simply stopped growing. Nonetheless, I'd "planted" one of the culled seedlings in an old planter whose soil hadn't been changed since last year. The thing grew like gangbusters, and it's only since the fruits set that I even knew what kind of tomato it was!

I transplanted it late (late-May) along with some seedlings I bought from a local nursery (Roma and Rutgers), and have quite a few tomatoes growing by this point. I had to pull one of the Rutgers due to some kind of wilt (overwatered, I believe), and some of the smaller fruits on both types have BER (uneven watering after pulling the overwatered Rutgers :oops: ), but my from-seed Roma is the first to ripen.

Luckily, the wife makes a mean sauce, so these first fellas are getting the garlic, onion, and basil treatment!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Good job, I know you will enjoy. It is great to see that lone ranger come to life. And a smile came on my face when I read that you had to wait to see what kind it was. In my wife's herb garden are some beautiful "basil" plants that have some gorgeous egg plant growing on them. How did that happen"

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations it can be nerve wracking starting from seed. This is my first year of doing almost my entire garden from seed in the basement. And so far it has been good.

Enjoy that sauce you deserve it.

To add to the wait and see what it is. I messed up big time somehow with my naming of seedlings. So I'm at the point of just harvesting whatever this is and whatever that is. I'm not really 100% on quite a few of my tomatoes. :oops: :lol: Kinda sucks because I put a bunch in pots that I thought were dwarfs but it turn out those got planted in soil and the big plants got planted in pots. again :oops:

mattie g
Green Thumb

Thanks! I went out yesterday afternoon and ended up harvesting five tomatoes, instead of three. I probably have 15 or so Romas growing now, as well as about 10 Rutgers. All plants have quite a few flowers as well.

Now it's just a matter of keeping blight away, and hopefully I'll have a good late season!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”