Brian M
Newly Registered

Green Tomatoes

My tomatoe plants have been growing for about 2 months now. There is a healthy number of fruit,but they seem to be staying green? How long before they ripen?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Yep, and when the first ones start to ripen, it will seem like they do so about the same time. I made lots of salsa this year with my abundance of tomatoes.

Matter of fact, I fixed breakfast for the wife and our two kids this morning and had omelets with some of the salsa and cheese, a couple links of breakfast sausage, grits and fresh fruit. Sunday is one of the few days we are able to do this what with work and college commitments.

If, like me, you find yourself with too many tomatoes, your neighbors and extended family will like to see you come over with a bag of them in tow.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They get to be full sized before they start changing color. So if you know about what size your variety of tomato is likely to be, you will know if it is at least about ready to ripen. Also you can look up the days to maturity for your variety (which is from when you transplanted them into the ground, if they were started somewhere else) and that will let you know about what to expect.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I planted Early Girls and Celebrities and picked the first tomato 79 days after planting in the garden. :D I'm finally keeping a garden notebook so I can remember what happened. I'm also keeping track of production in pounds and pints canned of most plants.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Interesting... I planted early girls, ultimate openers and big beef. I got the first ripe EGs and UOs 63 days later and big beef a few days after that.

Closer to what the distributors tell you, but still a little slower than they suggest.

Differences in soil, climate, and maybe how the seeds were started. Mine were good sized plants started from seed around valentines day.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

This gives a good idea for big tomatoes

https://www.tomatosite.com/index.php?NT=Cultivation&RE=Truss_Timeline

A ball park figure for fruit development can be made by subtracting 20-25 days from the DTM on the package, so a 75 DTM variety takes 50-55 days to develop. Cool weather slows things down, hot weather speeds it up. 75-85F is about average summer day high temps for the posted DTMs

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”