sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

chocolate cherry tomato... question

I grew these last year and the color of them were a light brown. they didn't look like the picture at ALL. thought maybe it was because of the werid wet weather we had last year, but this summer its the same thing, light brown and not at all like the picture. they taste really great though. anyone know if this is what they are really supposed to look like and the pictures where I purchased it at is just off? or am I missing a key nutrient or something? they do have a really great flavor though!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I am growing Black Cherry. I have seen a post on another forum asking if they are the same. I couldn't come up with anything that say's they really are not. I at this point think they are the same just different names from different vendors.

that being said this is my first year with them. They do come out pretty awesome. But never black. They are a bit brown to purple.

Though I don't think any tomatoes turn BLACK. Usually the blacks are more purple form what I have seen.

I am new to the heirloom market, so hopefully will come along and debunk everything I said are rather yet agree with me.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I just googled some pictures since mine aren't purpley at all. just light brown. and some peoples indeed are that color too. so weird. I wonder what the color variety is all about ya know? It would be cool if they were purple. I really love the flavor though. YUM!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Now when I say purple I don';t mean they will be Barney purple. More a black or dark coloration with somewhat of a purple hue to them. Even things like Cherokee Purple don't turn actually purple.

[img]https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZipVizMY-zs/S8aZ2tWcVoI/AAAAAAAAANI/gMMAROK_I48/s1600/cherokee_purple_tomato.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

If you think back to preschool finger painting, red and green makes brown. So I think most of the so called "purple" or "black" toms are bound to be basically brown as far as color perceptions go. Cherokee Purple appears to be a "pink" and green tomato.

TZ posted about the pigmentation behind all the colors somewhere.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ahhh, that makes a LOT of sense. You know, it is false advertising on the seed sites because they show they pictures of these tomatoes as a grape purple color. So I thought I was maybe doing something wrong. But it is indeed how it should be and I'm all fine with that, I just thought I was doing something wrong :lol: phew! I still really love their flavor!

applestar
Mod

I've been hearing that a lot. I'm definitely adding Chocolate Cherry to my list for next year. :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I've been hearing that a lot. I'm definitely adding Chocolate Cherry to my list for next year. :D
I'm still out on the chocolate cherry and the black cherry being different. But if they are I would definitely add the black cherry as well. What a great tomato. One of my favorites as well as many of my friends this year. Very productive and just dang awesome.

I might get some "Chocolate Cherry" to compliment my "Black Cherry" next year to see for myself.

wolfie

I have 4 of the chocolate cherry plants and everyone I give some to that tastes it for the first time, it becomes their favorite tomato!

I will definitely be growing more of these next year!

lang77
Newly Registered

I am growing both this year and from what I can tell, the chocolate cherry is more oblong and larger than the Black Cherry. I have not tasted the chocolate cherry yet as none have ripened. The first fruit on Black Cherry was on July 5th for me. I found the flavor wonderful.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The pictures of black tomatoes are usually underexposed because of camera settings so they look darker than the really are. The dark shoulder color is also enhanced by exposure to UV light so some of us never get the color development others do because of our sunlight levels.

The blacks retain chlorphyll in with the red flesh after they ripen so the gel is often green. If it is listed as a black and you cut it and it looks kind of brick red or muddy red with maybe a bit of green gel then it is a black. A red or pink variety will be much brighter.

Chocolates (red-black) have yellow skin over pink and green, and purples (pink-black) have clear skin over pink and green.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I've also read that black tomatoes develop more intense coloring in the south. Here, my "black" tomatoes come out more burgundy with green shoulders. Don't know why, exactly. Maybe the heat or the different angle of the sun hitting the earth...
These black cherries are from last year:
[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2535/3839149693_a21173f9ba.jpg[/img]

Compared with tomato growers' supply pic:
[img]https://www.tomatogrowers.com/2005/6148.jpg[/img]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Notice how much darker the green stems are in the TGA picture...camera setting. It looks like the blue-green dye that was on our Christmas tree last year.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've wondered the same thing about my chocolate cherris this year. The picture was purple, but mine, too, are a reddish-brown. However, I picked a few and left them on the counter-top and they did get darker, almost like the ones Tomato Grower's Supply pick. Don't worry about the color-matching; if they taste good, their good :wink:.

s.studer

Here are my Black Cherry:

[img]https://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii419/sstuder1/Tomatoes%202010/412d0dba.jpg[/img]

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

very Nice!!

I wonder if it has to do with the sun as well. last year I would put them on the counter and see if they'd get darker and they haven't. this year I've done the same thing and I have had some get darker! FINALLY!!! last years weather was terrible. cold and rainy all summer. this year its been sunny and hot. I wonder if that did make a difference!

ChefDavo45
Newly Registered

Could someone tell me where I can buy chocolate cherry tomato plants in St Louis? I bought some black cherry tomato plants at Lowes today, but the picture looks different. Last year, after being a ssweet 100 maniac for several years, I found some chocolate cherries somewhere, and they are the best tasting tomatoes I've ever had, if someone can help me, I really appreciate it

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

send me a pm with address and I will get some out to you Davo.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

RE: Black tomatoes, I' read the the pigment is photosensitive and that the longer you leave them on the vine the darker they get.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”