Liska

Home Grown Tomatoes are awesome

Wow! I had decided to just grow regular cherry tomatoes this year, so I didn't expect much, but I finally got to pick my first four ripe tomatoes, and I couldn't believe the difference in how they tasted, sweet and soft/ripe vs the rough chewy skins from the store! YUM!

Just sharing the happiness this morning. Despite the broken branch, there are so many tomatoes on the plants, I can't wait until they're all ready to pick! None of them have made it into the kitchen yet, because I just pick them off the plant and eat them right off.

:D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes fresh tomatoes are awesome.

So this is your first time with cherry's huh? You are in for good time especially if you like them. They are know to get crazy at least for me they do. I have one out there that is over 7 feet tall and has so many tomatoes on it I have to pick it at least every other day.

Never fear you will have plenty of those delicious fruit coming your way soon. :D

Another thing I hope in it is caged up somehow and that the restraint system is large. They can almost get out of control if you want to call it that. More like getting so bushy it's hard to get in to pick them. But is that really a problem. :wink:

Liska

gixxerific wrote:Yes fresh tomatoes are awesome.

So this is your first time with cherry's huh? You are in for good time especially if you like them. They are know to get crazy at least for me they do. I have one out there that is over 7 feet tall and has so many tomatoes on it I have to pick it at least every other day.

Never fear you will have plenty of those delicious fruit coming your way soon. :D

Another thing I hope in it is caged up somehow and that the restraint system is large. They can almost get out of control if you want to call it that. More like getting so bushy it's hard to get in to pick them. But is that really a problem. :wink:
Hi :D Yes, my first time for pretty much everything. I had always eaten cherry tomatoes from the store, so those are just what I ended up getting. I didn't expect a lot, but was really pleasantly surprised at how different they tasted. Gonna be a bit more adventerous next year with my tomatoes in terms of breed though! :)

So far, the plants have gotten taller more than they have bushy- they're taller than me, that's for sure, and I'm 5'3"! After dealing with a (sadly) broken branch, I went out and bought 9 foot tall stakes to pound them in the ground for supports, and they've weathered two windy storms, so hopefully there will be no more broken tomato plants :)

MaryDel

Long ago I discovered the pleasures of a homegrown tomato. Me and my grampa in his patch with the salt shaker w/t grammie yelling out the kitchen window "George the neighbors will think you're nuts"....

I picked a few today too... :lol:

[img]https://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx337/Flatfeesh/DSCN0838.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx337/Flatfeesh/DSCN0839.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx337/Flatfeesh/DSCN0835.jpg[/img]

but man cannot live on tomatoes alone.....

[img]https://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx337/Flatfeesh/DSCN0836.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx337/Flatfeesh/DSCN0837.jpg[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Marydel are those dark ones with the green shoulders Cherokee Purple. That is exactly what most of mine look like with the catfacing. And the top center one is that a brandywine?

Whatever they are they look yummy.

Liska don't worry too much about the broken vine. Sure it sucks that that part of the plant is gone. But tomatoes are very resilient you would be surprised what they can come back from if cared for correctly. Next time that happens you can plant the stem and grow another plant from it.

After reading this the other day I went out and picked a strainer FULL of cherry's from the monster one I have. It has gone crazy probably 8 foot now. I have to fashion something to help support the top few feet coming out of the top of my cages I swear it is on steroids. :lol:

Liska

Wow Mary, you're so lucky! I've got no where near that large of a harvest, even when everything begins to ripen! :shock: They look beautiful :)

Gix - thanks for the FYI on the broken branches too. I plan on removing it from the plant this evening. I knew the replant in the ground works for Cantaloupe, but didn't know it worked for tomatoes too!

MaryDel

Gixx

Those are Cherokee Purples. I believe the other one is a Burpee "Steak Sandwich"

It was bred to be firmer than other tomatoes and supposedly be better for putting on sandwiches.

When ripe, they are very firm like a grocery store tomato, but very flavorful like a garden tomato, and very good on sandwiches.

The others are a mixture of better boys black krims, Rutgers, lemon boys and a few other varieties.

Liska,

A big garden can be a blessing, but it can also be a burden. We've been canning and freezing and making sauces every night, and it's starting to get old already......my wife keeps complaining that she feels Amish :lol:

gaberdeen

Food EDITED! I'm all for it! :lol:

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I agree with the poster who talked about the big huge bush of the cherry tomato LOL! I have different varieties that I planted, but my cherry tomatoes are just OUT OF CONTROL! like much taller than I am and well, way past their cage so they're taking over all the other tomato plants.... EEEP!!< LOL

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:I agree with the poster who talked about the big huge bush of the cherry tomato LOL! I have different varieties that I planted, but my cherry tomatoes are just OUT OF CONTROL! like much taller than I am and well, way past their cage so they're taking over all the other tomato plants.... EEEP!!< LOL
I think that was me you are talking about. I have been looking into getting a 40 foot extension ladder so I can harvest the plant on steroids later this year. :lol: :P

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”