pickbet
Newly Registered

Tomato fertilizer?

Our plants are growing just fine but have very few blossoms. Did we overdo with the fertilizer? My husband put a couple of handfuls of potting soil in the holes when he planted them. I don't know the numbers because we used the whole bag and it's gone. I put some all purpose veggie fertilizer on them a few days ago, but the phosphate is only 8. I just went and checked after checking online for info. I found some tomato fertilizer which has a higher number for phosphate. Now what? Should I go buy some phosphate and put that one them? Thanks for any help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If all you did was the handfuls of potting soil (with Miracle Grow or something like that) at planting that should not create any problem. What ever you did a few days ago could possibly create an issue going forward, but is not responsible for your situation now.

For producing fruit you want something with a higher P number (in the NPK formulation). Too much nitrogen can lead to fast growing plants with lots of leaves but not flowering.

You didn't say where you are or what the temps have been like. Are you not getting any blossoms at all or are the blossoms appearing but falling off without setting fruit? Are your plants in full sun? How long have they been in the ground and how big are the plants?

The more information you can give us, the better help we can be at figuring out what the problem is.

pickbet
Newly Registered

We're in Maine, near the coast, and it's been hot and humid. We got a late start planting this year but they've been in at least a month. They're growing and are about three feet tall. They do have some blossoms and even setting some fruit. A very few blossoms and nowhere near as abundant as usual. Should I buy phosphate and feed them some of that? Thanks.

pickbet
Newly Registered

I just realized I didn't answer all of your questions. The blossoms are staying on the plants as far as I can tell. The plants are in full sun. We're watering them almost every day since it's been so hot.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”