sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Fighting Early Blight...

I could scream, really. I have 30 tomato plants which are filled with tomatoes and flowers and were doing really great, getting huge etc and now this. its spreading rather fast too. I've been cutting the stems off and I just sprayed with a spray for it. they told me at the nursery to spray every 7-10 days and not any sooner. do you know if this regimen is going to keep it in check? I don't know how many more leaves and branches I can prune off, they're getting bare!m what else should I do?

vermontkingdom

Once early blight gets a good head of steam it's hard to fight it. What's the spray you're using? Are your plants in an area where you have had problems with previous year blights?

I notice you are in Maine. Have you received a lot rain? I'm in Vermont and the weather here has been hot and sunny which really helps prevent the spread of blight. The key to slowing it down is low humidity and little precipitation. I trust you will be able to beat this darn thing and soon enjoy the "fruits of your labor".

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

well we haven't had a lot of rain but a lot of humidity. this weekend we had rain though.

I sure hope I can fight this thing... I have a feeling that they're done for though :( I'm using the chlorothalonil.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Don't cut anything. Mix 1/2 cup of Baking Soda with 1 gallon of water. Water each plant with 1 pint of water. Spray all your plants with the same mixture. The bad parts of the plant will dry up and fall off on their own. I have been watering and spraying my plants once a week. If you don't have blight yet water and spray anyway it will keep you from getting blight. If your plants already have blight it will keep it from getting worse and blight will soon be gone.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

so the baking soda and water will help fight the blight or just prevent blight? because I have a full blown infestation happening right now.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”