Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Tomato Taste

I planted several varieties of tomatoes this year and marked them all just so I can taste each one and know what type tomatoe it is.

Beef Steak is still my flavorite.

Beef Steak, Big Beef, Beef Master, and Jet Star all have the same flavor, save amount of acid, same texture. All are perfect slicing tomatoes great for sandwiches. All of these are the same red color. These are very firm tomatoes. All are very large produces I picked 10 to 12 ripe tomatoes from each plant and they produce great all summer.

Beef Steak is a nice perfect round tomato all are about 3 1/2" diameter.

Big Beef is a nice perfect round tomato all are about 4" diameter.

Beef Master is a odd shape 5" diameter about 3" thick.

Jet Star is a perfect round tomato too about 3 1/2" diameter.

German Johnson is a large tomatoe it does not tend to grow perfect round. My tomatoes are 5 to 6 inch diameter 4 to 5 inches thick. It is lower acid than the Beef Steak. This tomatoe are a softer tomatoe that tends to smash and sqeeze out of the sandwich and fall in the table much easier than other type tomatoes. Color is like a Bradley slightly purple red. It is a nice slicing tomatoe but tends to fall apart easy because it is so soft. This would be a good tomatoe for people that have no teeth. It seems to have a slightly sweet flavor. The plants grow extremely large my plants are 7 ft tall. The plants produce about 1/2 the quanty of other tomatoes like Beef Steak but sinse the tomatoes are 2 times larger the actual quantity by weight is about the same as other type tomatoes.
German Johnson taste is a tiny bit too low acid and too sweet for me. If you have stomach problem and want a lower acid tomatoe that still tastes like a tomate German Johnson is a good choice.

Next year I will plant Beef Steak, Beef Master and Jet Star. No more German Johnsons.

I have about 50 lbs of tomatoes to be canned in mason jars today. I should have all the jars filled in 2 hours and be finished in 4 hours. It is raining so its a good day to can.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/mikeweaver/100_0112.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Very nice looking tomatoes!

EG

MaryDel

I did the beef thing last year. if I remember correctly, I had 8 different varieties all with the name beef in them :roll: BeefyBoy was my favorite

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Good looking tomatoes there. Red is the color, and next year I plan to have some plants named "beef" as well. I will just have to do a search on the forum to remember which ones.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”