gardengrl3

Anyone growing Green Zebra tomatoes?

Hello! This is the first year I am growing Green Zebra tomatoes-can anyone tell me if they are to be slightly soft when they are ripe? My green zebras have been firm for a couple of weeks now so I am not sure if they are ready to be picked? :?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

They have two flavor ripeness stages; full ripe the tomato will look yellow with some broken green stripes. It should be fairly soft at that point. Working back from that point ripeness-wise the flavor will change and be a bit more tangy, and the color will have more green. Its hard to describe but you'll get the hang of it after lots of fruit start to ripen.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Yes, pretty much what TZ already said, look for the chartreuse (yellow/green) color. This was my first year growing Green Zebras too. As you continue to watch them, the color change is obvious when it starts to happen. Also, the tomatoes do feel a little softer as they ripen.

On my tomato sandwiches, I use a good "red" tomato, and also add a layer of Green Zebra ... heavenly ! :D

gardengrl3

Thanks for the advice! I want to try to make some salsa because they say green zebras are great in salsas! I cant wait! :D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”