fidealindie

Tomato babies! should I change fertlizer?

hello, first time tomato grower here, and I'm lookin for a little help, I've got some plants that are producing a crazy number of blooms, and I finally have some tomato babies on them, at this point I just have the jobe's spikes in, should I change the type of fertilizer I'm using to help the babies develop? Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

YAY!!

Are the fertilizer spikes specifically for tomatoes? If not, you might look for Tomato Tone or something like that. You want something that is low in Nitrogen and higher in the other two values in the NPK, like a 5-10-10 or even more so. That will encourage it to fruit rather than just grow leaves.

I don't use commercial fertilizers, just compost and compost tea and my tomatoes do fine.

Next year, start a little earlier! :) You have such a mild climate there, you could plant your tomatoes outdoors very early. Being here in OH, I start tomato seeds indoors around valentines day, plant them out around tax day and eat ripe tomatoes in June...

garden5
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:YAY!!

Are the fertilizer spikes specifically for tomatoes? If not, you might look for Tomato Tone or something like that. You want something that is low in Nitrogen and higher in the other two values in the NPK, like a 5-10-10 or even more so. That will encourage it to fruit rather than just grow leaves.

I don't use commercial fertilizers, just compost and compost tea and my tomatoes do fine.

Next year, start a little earlier! :) You have such a mild climate there, you could plant your tomatoes outdoors very early. Being here in OH, I start tomato seeds indoors around valentines day, plant them out around tax day and eat ripe tomatoes in June...

I'm with RG, compost and ACT and they do fine. Congratulations on getting your first tomatoes!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”