cubbybear17
Newly Registered

Tomato plant stems being eaten off at ground!

This has happened to me several years in a row. I've tried planting in the ground, then in pots, then putting netting around the plant in the pot, planting marigolds around the tomato, etc, and invariably something will gnaw the plant to the ground. Any suggestions on how to get this to stop? This year I'm trying the Topsy Turvy and not having much luck.

cubbybear17
Newly Registered

Thanks! I will try this!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've herd that they use aluminum foil on squash for vine borers.....why not for cutworms?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Lots of things can be used for cutworms: toilet paper/paper towel rolls, aluminum from turkey roasting pans and pie pans, cut off water/soda bottles etc. The larger soda bottles keep chipmonks and rabbits away from seedlings.

I got this from a reliable source but am skeptical... place a small stick, nail or soda straw in the ground next to the stem. Supposedly the worm needs to wrap all the way around the stem in order to feed, and that stops them for some reason.

I think you can also pour corn meal on the ground and they eat that and die (terminal constipation?), but you might want to look that one up.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:Lots of things can be used for cutworms: toilet paper/paper towel rolls, aluminum from turkey roasting pans and pie pans, cut off water/soda bottles etc. The larger soda bottles keep chipmonks and rabbits away from seedlings.

I got this from a reliable source but am skeptical... place a small stick, nail or soda straw in the ground next to the stem. Supposedly the worm needs to wrap all the way around the stem in order to feed, and that stops them for some reason.

I think you can also pour corn meal on the ground and they eat that and die (terminal constipation?), but you might want to look that one up.
The nail thing does sound a little "old wive's tale"-ish, but I'll have to research it.

Cornmeal will work, though: they love to eat it, but cant digest it.

cubbybear17
Newly Registered

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”