corrigandee
Newly Registered

TIRED OF FRIED GREEN TOMATOES

my tomatoes will not turn red on plant...planted aprox 4 months ago full sun..black kow fertilizer ...water every other day and miracle grow once a week lots and lots of green tomatoes and plants are probably 4 feet high
corrigandee zone 9

pizzarrhea
Cool Member

are they a green when ripe variety :wink:

corrigandee
Newly Registered

green tomatoes.....

they were labeled big boy tomatoes....i believe they r supposed to turn red...i will research...thanks
corrigandee zone 9

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

How old are the fruits themselves? The fruit will reach "picking size" at about the half way point, so you are fooled into thinking they should turn color soon.

A big variety like yours should take around 50 days from when the flower fades.

https://www.tomatosite.com/index.php?NT=Cultivation&RE=Truss_Timeline

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

TZ, got a quick question...

Do the green when ripe tomatoes EVER turn color? I was supposed to have 3 german greens, but they are turning yellow. I mean YELLLLOOOOW! Like golden yellow, not what I would have imagined for a GWR. I wouldn't be surprised if these plants aren't what they were marked. I have already discovered that one of my black krim plants is actually a pink brandywine. I know I got some kind of stripey hybrid just for show,. It's not prducing anything striped, just big fat pounder toms. I bought a 6 pack of rutgers that turned out to be pink grapes :roll: Every horizontal surface in my house and carport is being stolen by grape, pear and cherry tomatoes. (I am actually really glad about the grapes as I have never tried them before and they are BANGIN) I know I didn't knowingly buy these yellow toms,(I did buy a taxi cherry and a yellow pear, but I know where they are and they are true to plant label) but SURPRISE!! I'm hoping your answer is yes! they do change to yellow, but I'm sure it's not. :roll:
"The conspicuous consumption of limited resources has yet to be accepted widely as a spiritual error, or even bad manners." ~Barbara Kingsolver

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=533347321

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Hopefuly you mean Aunt Ruby's German Green (ARGG). With so many hundreds of tomato varieties on the market, many with similar names and some with translated names, you get serious confusion altering a name in any way.

Most GWR have the yellow skin allele, which is the same thing that makes a pink tomato into a red tomato, so upon ripening the GWRs get that amber color, with greener shoulders. Looking at a ripe Green Zebra I would not call it green from the outside, but that is from the coloration caused by the stripe gene. Most varieties are not that bad/yellow.

Green Giant is one of the few clear skinned GWR. The very bottom of it turns white, usually with a little bit of yellow or pinkish yellow when it ripens. When you see that it is time to start the squeeze tests to tell when it is ready to eat.

A few GWR varieties have a different gene than the Green Fruit (gf) gene and can have a tiny bit of red in the middle of the flesh, and maybe a bit of yellow flesh mixed in with the green as welll, but they are definitely not the solid white, yellow or orange flesh of a yellow variety. I think ARGG might be one of those oddballs.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Hopefuly you mean Aunt Ruby's German Green (ARGG).

I do, in fact :()

But, I am sure it's not them. There is no mistaking this yellow color, it's nearly orange. The plant is not potato leaved either. Something I obviously overlooked. It is TASTY though. Not like the yellow cherries and pears that I have. It actually tastes similar to Brandywine, IMO. Makes a pretty plateful of tomatoes too. Smooth flesh, not mealy at all. I wish I knew what they were. Some of the best tasting yellows I've ever eaten.
"The conspicuous consumption of limited resources has yet to be accepted widely as a spiritual error, or even bad manners." ~Barbara Kingsolver

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

That happened to me last year. The Estler's Morgage Lifter, which was hard to come by, turned out to be almost certainly Kelloggs Breakfast. Where was your seed from?

I usually save seeds from those unknown things and then try to match them up with what they might be in following years. Two of my favorite varieties are still in the Too Be Anounced catagory.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I got48 of my 56 tomato plants from a local feed and seed greenhouse. I got ALL of the rest of my garden seed from them also. The seed that I bought seem to be true to seed name. The plants I bought are what is so mixed up. I chose this particular feed and seed because they had over 40 heirloom cultivars. I was impressed to say the least. I did grow a whole flat of big rainbow and brandywine. So far they are true to seed name. I kept 6 of them and 2 plants from a tomato I bought that actually sprouted seeds inside the tomato( I got pictures, it was crazy.)

I will keep some of these seeds, I thought maybe it was a yellow brandywine, but it's not potato leaved. I'm not sure if it's a hybrid or not but I definitely wanna grow more of them. I will get some pics up later to see if maybe I can get an ID on them!

applestar
Mod

Why not take your photos of the mystery fruit and plant and ask at the store or ask for who grew them so you can ask? They would probably recognize it if it was grown intentionally. Not so hard to mislabel starts when you're growing many.

I have to get one of those truly indelible ink markers because I have half a dozen leftover starts in pots that are now unidentifiable.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Sometime what happens when you buy a flat at the store is someone switched out some of the plants. People will buy a tray, but will want a variety, so they will switch out some for others.

However, growing from seed isn't always a guarantee, either. Let's just say that I have a row of eggplants that have nice, round, green eggplants on them :roll:.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff221.jpg[/img]

The big, orange, fatty there in the middle is it. The owner of the green house hires out planters and was unable to tell me what the type is. Said they had several different types of yellow tomatoes planted this year.

applestar
Mod

NICE harvest! Love that flying saucer squash. I'm growing one (Benning's Green Tint) for the 2nd time this year. Hoping this year will be more successful than last year. :roll: Your tomatoes look absolutely Fabulous! :D

GardenJester

I'm a patient person, but the brandywines are putting my patience to the test. I have about 5 brandywine. each plant have at least 5 one pounders and two dozen smaller ones. But none of them want to turn red, they just keep growing. I can't even count how many clusters of yellow pears are on the 5 yellow pears. so far the only plant that yeld any tomatoe is the cherry 100s I bought from the local gardening store. What do I have to do get them turn colors? I'm actually considering hanging red chrismas ornaments on the plants to get them turning colors. :P

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Thank you! Thank you!!! It's a pattypan squash. They are way prettier than they taste!

You planted 5 yellow pears!!!!!!! I sure hope you're planning to sell at the farmers market! I picked about 3 quarts bags of yellow pears off of ONE plant. Pick a bulging bushel of mixed tomatoes today. Gonna can them sometime in the next week.

I would love to say I did something over the top extaordinary to get such a harvest! But I can't. :roll: I just had some great stuff to work with. I have been amazed over and over again. We are officially in a drought, and are on water restrictions...sigh...We'll see how it goes from here on. I'm thinkin not so good...

applestar
Mod

Set out every empty container you've got when/if it ever rains!
I have 3 storage tubs out there. I just went out and consolidated the collected rainwater in one and put a clamp on lid on it to keep out the skeeters.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Haha! If it ever rains! We got 2 55 gal cranberry juice barrels and some screen. Gonna start using fish tank water on the plants instead of on the compost. Was worried bout the nitrates being too high from the fish waste. With the weather so dry, I don't really wanna encourage too much grown. But, if I gotta use it I will. I guess every little bit helps;)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”