iceblue
Newly Registered

feeding

whens the best time to start feeding my tomato plants? and can anyone give me a good tomato feed to use please , id be really greatfull

thanks blue :)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Commercial growers fertilize after the first fruits set so that the nitrogen doesn't inhibit flowering or promote blossom end rot. Generally people fertilize when the plant out, and maybe again mid season if the plants need it. tomato fertilizers range from balanced like 10:10:10 (N:P:K) to specific tomato formulas that are generally a little lower in nitrogen and higher in potassium (7:10:10, 7:4:13). Organic formulas are going to be less concentrated (lower numbers, but similar NPK ratios) and a bit slower to act in most cases.

All purpose vegertable fertilizers tend to be more balanced than tomato formulas, but they both work well.

GardenJester

I have good results with Tomatoe Tone fertlizers. They are granulated and organic. It's got everything tomatoe plants need, including calcium to prevent BER.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Personally I never feed my tomatoes (or anything else), in the sense of commercial fertilizer. I plant with compost and add more once or twice in the season and they are mulched well (the mulch eventually breaks down and becomes part of the soil). They do fine.

iceblue
Newly Registered

thanks for the advice all , il certainly be giving it a go

and I noticed today I have my first flower buds opening up lol my gardens more like a tomato farm at the min lol
thank you for the replies much appreciated

blue :D

MaryDel

I side dress mine with a bit of 10-10-10 when they are about 1 foot high, then I use some 5-10-10 after they have about three sets of fruit on them.

iceblue
Newly Registered

thanks marydel much appreciated :D they now have about 3 to 4 truses of flowers and buds now

blue

farmerlon
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Personally I never feed my tomatoes (or anything else), in the sense of commercial fertilizer. I plant with compost and add more once or twice in the season and they are mulched well (the mulch eventually breaks down and becomes part of the soil). They do fine.
ditto ... I agree with that.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”