Zap

Musad wrote: I made sure they all had only 1 main stem. I think this is more important than picking out the suckers.
Hi all, new to the forum - made the leap from pot growing (ha ha, no no, I mean growing tomato's in pots) to a small garden this year.

My plants are MONSTERS over 7 feet tall. Had so many ripen at once I made my first home grown tomato sauce! Delicious!

But I digress.

Musad, I'm curious about your statement I quoted above. Near all my plants have several stems branching out near the base, and they are producing fruit?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I actually think that having one stem is a good thing but, having branches coming off the stem is very important such that fruit will grow on the branches.

Suckering just makes sure that the plant does not:

a) put energy into producucing more branches and therefore produces fruit

b) Does not produce branches that will shade the fruit prevent it from ripening.

Musad

I am not sure why but it was advice given somewhere to only have one main stem coming from the ground. I read this and my tomatoes are much bigger than ever before. It makes the energy go to the tomatoes rather than all the side stems I think.

tiggs&oscar

Hello,

I googled pinching out tomato seedlings and came onto this site and promptly registered! This is the first time I have grown tomatoes from seed in Scotland and so far I have 5 inch long seedlings with a pair of leaves each. I think I will grow some inside and some out.

Inamon

We have grow some Brandywine (Heirloom) tomatoes this year and like others I have pinched of the suckers at the bifurcation. With the brandywines I have let the suckers grow a little further on the top 3 stem joins and it now looks as if they may be starting to bud out. Is this normal for brndywines, should I let the suckers stay?
The top of the plant is budding out nicely with about 14 flower pods but with the brandywine weighing in at upto a pound per tomato is it wise to let these suckers bud out?

firefighter23

does anyone have a picture of this "one main stem"? I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure...
I would like to try it on one of my potted beefstakes or beefmasters to try and get some HUGE TOMATOES!!

If anyone can explain or better- send me a picture or link I would greatly appreciate it, I think its time I start doing that cause they are around 18-24 inches tall....

Thanks Yall

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”