tinkerbell9902
Newly Registered

Buds falling off... Please help!

I am fairly new to gardening. I have three tomoto plants, and each of the plants have some yellowed area near the buds. When the buds are touched they fall off. What do I need to do to prevent this, as I am loosing some good potential tomotoes.

bunge

There are so many experts on this forum,
I just know one will answer you soon.
I guess they are all out , tending to their tomatoes.
I wish I could answer you, but I just don't know...???
bunge :(

decam0

Have they produced flowers and then they've withered and fallen off? Are there tiny little green balls where the 'buds' were? If so, then Mother Nature is working perfectly ok and these are your baby tomatoes!

tinkerbell9902
Newly Registered

They have either just bloomed, or about to bloom, but the stem that they are attached to falls off not just the bloom, sorry for the confusion.

decam0

Hmmm...sounds like a shortage of water to me. More information anyone?

Newt
Greener Thumb

Sorry for the delay, but my 'puter is acting up! From this site under #3:
https://hillsborough.extension.ufl.edu/HomeHort/frequently_asked_questions.htm#vegetables
3. Why do my tomato plants consistently drop their blooms?
This is a problem associated with several factors:

(1) Variety selection is of utmost importance for all crops, including tomatoes. Varieties other than those that are recommended for this area by the University of Florida will not be adapted to the climate or soil conditions. Poor growth, bloom drop, and poor fruit set is to be expected from varieties not recommended for this area.

(2) High nitrogen will cause a lack of blooms or bloom drop. High nitrogen availability will cause plants to grow excessive and lush foliage at the expense of bloom and fruit set. Reduce the nitrogen applied to the crop.

(3) Tomatoes have a very narrow optimum temperature range which is best for bloom set and for production. Nights which are too cool or too hot will cause the bloom to drop. Planting tomatoes or any crop out of season is a common error and puts the plant under environmental stress resulting in poor growth and flowering. Late spring or early fall planting subjects tomatoes to temperatures that are too high for bloom set.

(4) A water cycle that subjects the tomato plant to a wet then dry condition as opposed to a consistent moist condition results in bloom drop. This problem is very common in container grown vegetables.

(5) Tomatoes require at least 6 hours of full sun. If tomatoes get less than 6 hours of full sun, poor blooming or bloom drop can occur.
Newt

Bob

tinkerbell9902 wrote:I am fairly new to gardening. I have three tomoto plants, and each of the plants have some yellowed area near the buds. When the buds are touched they fall off. What do I need to do to prevent this, as I am loosing some good potential tomotoes.
If you've been using any fertilizer on your plants, check the first number on the bag, that's nitrogen, and too much nitrogen will cause tomato plants to drop their blossoms. You'll probably get beautiful bushes with no fruit if that's the problem.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Tinkerbell, depending upon where you are it could be the extreme temperatures N. America is seeing. My tomato plants have just about FRIED in the past two week's insane heat, they were dropping leaves as well as blooms and mostly holding on to the fruits they had already set. Now that temps are back to normal where we are, I'm hoping they set new leaves and recover, otherwise I won't be canning this year. :(

bunge

Hey Yall,
Besides the insane heat, we have had NO rain,
til yesterday...got a little tiny bit.
But now "cut worms" have invaded my crop.
They cut the main trunk/stalk just about into, right under the ground.
so there's no hope after that!! :cry:
hope no one else gets these devils.
j bunge

uaw249
Newly Registered

High humidity and high night time temps definitely create a situation like you describe. IMHO you are probably not at fault but just a slave to mother natures wrath of late July heat like the rest of us hapless growers

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”