rosiegirl
Cool Member

tomato branches breaking, help!

this morning I looked out and my garden and almost cried. 2 huge branches broke off my tomato plant overnight. not sure if the wind did it (it wasn't particularly windy) or the weight of the branch.

what do I do?

I have tied the main branch to the stake but there are some big branches that are really heavy. should I be tying those up, too?

here are photos of the damage:

[img]https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1435/4727605092_02e52436e5.jpg[/img]

[img]https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1347/4726960835_805cb54f1e.jpg[/img]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Yes, you have to tie everything to the stake. It ends up being tied off about every foot or so to prevent slumping. Tie just below the fruit truss rather than above it.

This type of required support is one reason the commercial 3 and 4 ring cages don't work for most varieties. The wires are too far apart to support the branches. The six inch squares of a home made CRW (concrete reinforcing wire) cage are close enough together that even heavily laden vines are supported by just leaning against the wires and each other.

rosiegirl
Cool Member

thanks! I had no idea...so I should tie all the big branches of each tomato plant to the same stake?

also, will any branches grow back or am I short half a plant now?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I find it pretty tough to have more than 3-4 vines tied to a single stake, but you can tie some other stakes to the main one tripod style and tie extra branches to those. Many of us have had big tomato plants get out of hand through inexperience or poor planning and you do whatever your imagination can come up with to fix the problem (stick an unused stepladder next to the plant, etc.)

Check out the sticky on support methods for ideas.

Indeterminant tomatoes are always sending up new shoots/suckers so whatever broke off will be replaced in time. You can maybe stick the end of your broken branch into damp soil and get it to root. That is usually done with peices less than a foot long, but it might work with a bigger piece.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

You could try to save the branches that broke off by planting them really deep in a bucket full of good really moist soil. Might look wimpy for a week or two, but it should grow roots. You can at least have another plant out of it :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

All good advice... As noted, your tomato plants need a LOT more support than they are getting. You can put three stakes around them, then run rope horizontally around the three stakes at various levels, then tie branches to the rope. Or use commercial tomato cages (but get the biggest sturdiest ones you can find!). Or as TZ said check out the sticky he wrote on supporting tomato plants.

jmoore

Here's another thread on broken branches. I ended up just cutting them off. There are new shoots growing right next to the cuts on all but one limb. In a week, they are already 6" tall.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26797

rosiegirl
Cool Member

great, thanks for all responses and links!

last year, my first year gardening, I had tomatoes in containers. so I guess I thought the staking would be the same this year! the tomatoes have officially gone crazy, though!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”