missmckee83
Newly Registered

Why is my tomato plant starting to discolour?

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/51375593@N08/4717683795/[/url]

See picture link above for the colouring of my two cherry tomatoes. The one on the left is now not as green as the one on the right. (the one on the right the top was snapped off by some heavy winds but it seems to be recovering). I water them at the same time and amount but the one on the left is just not as green as it used to be. Water approx every 2 days in VA heat. In wooden container box with basil companion. First time grower, so no experience with this. They were started indoors on March and went outside 2 weeks ago. I added fertiliser both N and P to the soil before planting so should have plenty still. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for any help! :D

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

It looks like all three of the plants in the picture are in the same box so over watering shouldn't affect one and not the others. Overwatering tends to affect lower leaves first, not the whole plant. Whatever it is it is not a commonly seen symptom. My guess is that the roots died for some reason (maybe one of the wilts). Your two healthy plants on either side indicate that it is probably not something you are doing.

Overwatering could have caused the problem indirectly. The plants are pretty small so they should not use water very quickly. Dig your hand down into the box the next time you go to water and see if the mix is dry all the way to the bottom. If you are over watering you will hit waterlogged "mud" before your hand gets to the bottom. If the soil seems cool and humid, but not necessarily damp there is still enough water in it for roots to take in. It won't hurt to water potting mix at that point, but if the mix seems to have more moisture in it than that you probably can wait a while longer.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”