FrFtr28
Newly Registered

Need help identifying possible disease

This is my first year with a garden and I have a question regarding my tomato plants. I've attached a couple of pictures that show the leaves yellowing with what appears to me as possible early blight. My green peppers which were transplanted at the same time are still healthy looking. Also, the upper leaves on the tomato plants are turning a dark green if that helps in the diagnosis. So my question is, is this early blight or do I need to fertilize?

Thank you

[img]https://www.portergraphics.net/images/tomato_leaf2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.portergraphics.net/images/tomato_leaf_scaled.jpg[/img]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The yellowing looks like nitrogen defeciency...older leaves, beginning at the tip and margins. Probably due to the plant translocating nutrients for root growth etc while getting established after transplant to garden. Dead spots are probably just associated with it, not the cause.

pizzarrhea
Cool Member

When were they transplanted? I transplanted a few sweet 100s into pots last week and they're having the same problems but the upper leaves look healthy.

FrFtr28
Newly Registered

I gave them some MiracleGro tomato fertilizer last night to see if that helps. I transplanted them about a week and a half ago, since then it doesn't seem like they have grown much. Is that because it takes a little time to get over the "shock" of transplant and get a hold of the new soil?

Also, I'm thinking I didn't bury them deep enough when I transplanted. I didn't realize you are supposed to bury quite a bit of the stem, too.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Yes, they often seem to sit around for a couple of weeks before it looks like they are growing again. The garden soil is usualy less fertile than the pot, so they need more roots out in it to pull in the nutrients that they need, and the roots are often bound up in the pot or damaged a bit when you plant them out. This is why I soak the pots in fertilizer the day before planting them out, so they have a bit of nutrient reserve to help them put roots out. I don't think extra deep planting makes for quicker reaction to the situation in most cases because it takes time for the stem tissue to "wake up" and shift into root making mode, plus you have decreased the size of the plant by removing leaves so it looks even sadder to start with.

How much stem did you bury when you planted, and what did the rootball look like (very tight, tight, med, loose?)

FrFtr28
Newly Registered

TZ -OH6 wrote:How much stem did you bury when you planted, and what did the rootball look like (very tight, tight, med, loose?)
Thanks for the info, I am learning alot here! I started the seeds in peat pellets, and the root ball was pretty tight. I only buried the pellet/root ball section.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh man, did you plant it with the peat pot/ pellet (like the company tells you you can)? That is a disaster in the making. The peat does NOT biodegrade in any reasonable time (like anytime this year). It stays there, smothering the roots, keeping the plant root bound, holding too much moisture in when it is wet and then wicking moisture away from the plant when it starts to dry out.

If this is the case, I would really think about digging the whole thing up, getting the peat pot off it and replanting a little bit deeper. PLant isn't very established where it is yet anyway. Short of that, dig around the peat pot and pull pieces of it off...

garden5
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Oh man, did you plant it with the peat pot/ pellet (like the company tells you you can)? That is a disaster in the making. The peat does NOT biodegrade in any reasonable time (like anytime this year). It stays there, smothering the roots, keeping the plant root bound, holding too much moisture in when it is wet and then wicking moisture away from the plant when it starts to dry out.

If this is the case, I would really think about digging the whole thing up, getting the peat pot off it and replanting a little bit deeper. PLant isn't very established where it is yet anyway. Short of that, dig around the peat pot and pull pieces of it off...
I agree. That could certainly be your problem. You should never bury the peat pot with the plant, even though they say you can (honestly, I think they just use that as a marketing technique to play to a gardener's lazy side).

Some people don't even like to grow them in peat pots at all, though they do give good germination rates.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:...Some people don't even like to grow them in peat pots at all ...
Yep, that's what I figured out for myself.
Styrofoam cups are less expensive, and can be used again ... and I'm never tempted to bury a styro cup! :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

farmerlon wrote:
garden5 wrote:...Some people don't even like to grow them in peat pots at all ...
Yep, that's what I figured out for myself.
Styrofoam cups are less expensive, and can be used again ... and I'm never tempted to bury a styro cup! :)
If you are using cups go plastic. Plastic is a good medium for starting plants and it can be recycled, Styrofoam can not. :)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

OP indicated peat pellet (aka jiffy pellet), not peat pot,... different animal with its own problems.

Although roots will grow through the netting sometimes they do it reluctantly so generally it is better to tear off the plastic netting to let the roots out, but people usually plant them deep enough that roots grow out of the top of the pellets and from the stem so the problem is often not noticed. As recommended your plant would benefit from digging it up and planting much deeper, but I suspect roots have grown out from the pellet to some extent so you might want to dig out a good sized chunk of dirt (6-inch diameter or more) with the plant since there is no peat pot to peel off. I would try to get at least 4-5 inches of stem underground.

It is S.O.P. to pot up the starter pellets into larger pots (with net removed). That gets a couple of inches of stem under, and then when the plant goes into the garden several weeks later an additional few inches of stem go under so even though it seems like shallow planting there is a good deal of root producing stem underground.

FrFtr28
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Oh man, did you plant it with the peat pot/ pellet (like the company tells you you can)? That is a disaster in the making...
That's what I get for following directions. Something just didn't seem right about planting it in the peat pellet. I will dig it up and try to remove the peat. Thank you!

I did remove the netting before planting, should I still dig them up and remove the peat?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

No, the compressed peat layer of the pots is the problem, once roots grow past the little bit of loose peat in the pellet they don't look back. Your plant is just too shallow with too little in the way of area for roots to start from. Direct seeded plants get around the problem by sending out a tap root from which lateteral roots originate, but the tap root is broken in transplanted plants so laterals must originate from burried stem.

FrFtr28
Newly Registered

So, should I still dig them up and bury deeper or just mound some dirt around the bottom of the stem to keep from disturbing what roots are there now? If I did dig them up I would probably dig around the plant in about a 6" circle to try and not disturb the roots.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Looking at your picture, there appears to be some spots starting on the yellow leave, which may indicate one of several diseases. Pull the leaves and remove them far from the garden and compost heap.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Dig it deeper. A mound of soil will tend to dry out between waterings and kill any roots that have grown, and roots will not easily form from the stem in dry soil.

FrFtr28
Newly Registered

So I dug them up and planted them deeper a a few days ago and they seem to be perking up. Thank you to everyone for the great advice!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”