lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Wilt resistant tomato

For the hot South what it the absolute best tomato varieties to withstand fungii in the soil. I know rotation is the best deal, but almost every article you read on fusarium wilt says to purchase varieties that are resistant--be sure VFN is a part of its name. So which ones are the best? What do the tomato row croppers plant?

My garden spot is not large so rotation is difficult. When I first started this garden area I brought in some trailer loads of top soil. First few years the tomato crop was great. Then last year was almost a bust. As many on the forum know, this year I created some boxes with new top soil, and it is from those boxes that I will harvest my tomatoes this year.

These are doing great:
[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/G2010June/Garden_June043.jpg[/img]

On the far right side of this picture is one dying:
[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/G2010June/Garden_June009.jpg[/img]

I do well in the garden with squash, beans, okra, cukes, and peppers. I think I will continue in the garden with these, and grow tomatoes ONLY in boxes with new topsoil each year

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

The most resistant varieties for Alabama are gonna be Atkinson, Rutgers, Better Boy, and Celebrity.

EG

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

engineeredgarden wrote:The most resistant varieties for Alabama are gonna be Atkinson, Rutgers, Better Boy, and Celebrity.

EG
Well, these are Celebrity and Better Boy that are doing great in the new boxes, and Celebrity and Better Boys that are "biting the dust". I think I will go with plan A---tomatoes in boxes with new soil

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I would call your county extension agent. The resistant varieties are not immune, they just tend to hold the problem off long enough to get a crop, so I suppose local conditions can have quite an impact on how well different varieties perform.

Also, there are multiple races of both Fusarium and Verticillium out there and some regions have one or more of each so you have to get a tomato variety with the resistance to the races in your area or they don't work so well.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”