pizzarrhea
Cool Member

Newbie tomato flower question

So, on most of my tomato plants ( Sweet 100, Big Boy, Better Boy ) when the flowers show they're just yellow with petals but on my German Pink tomato the flowers that bloomed look like wild flowers. Now, I don't think anythings wrong but can anyone tell me why the flowers aren't like the ones on all my other tomatoes?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The first tomatoes you listed are hybrids bred to have nice pretty round fruit all the same size and shape. That is reflected in the flower shape. The big beefsteak heirlooms, like German Pink, have what is called fasciated fruit which is a complex female reproductive structure in the flower that grows out into the large irregular boatshaped fruit. They are also more prone to megablooms, which are fused flowers that look like dandelions. Often the first flower of the season or the truss will do that. The megablooms are the ones that can grow into the big knobby ugly 5-7lb competition winning monsters. I often pinch off the biggest most ugly flowers because the irregularly shaped fruit can have problems cracking during development because they tend not to pollinate evenly. The more normal flowers behind them on the truss will set fruit so you get the same production you would if you left the big ugly one on.

pizzarrhea
Cool Member

Thanks a lot for the info, it really filled me in TZ!
I hope I get a 5lb tomato haha! :D

Pizza

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Unfortunaterly you would probably have to prune off most of the other fruit to get one to grow that big...then a squirel would eat it just before it got ripe. You might want to leave them on just to see what happens. Its not a sin to cull gnarly looking green tomatoes if it looks like development is going badly.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:Unfortunately you would probably have to prune off most of the other fruit to get one to grow that big...then a squirrel would eat it just before it got ripe. .

[url=https://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php][img]https://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing005.gif[/img][/url]

ROTFL.... too true!

pizzarrhea
Cool Member

so far pests have been staying out of my garden :D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”