jmoore

Another: what type of tomato is this? thread

I bought a sad little tomato plant from the "these are about to die so they are on sale for $1" shelf at Lowes. It was labeled a Roma tomato but based on the shape, they are obviously not. Any idea what they are? The plant has topped out at about 2' tall. The leaves are very green and almost have a waxy texture. Nothing like the others I've seen. It's the only plant with fruit on it this year. Pretty good result from a $1 plant.

Leaves
[img]https://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z232/jason_moore_texas/random%20pics/Garden%202010/Photo0487.jpg[/img]

Fruit
[img]https://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z232/jason_moore_texas/random%20pics/Garden%202010/Photo0488.jpg[/img]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Based on the leaves it looks to be one of the bush varieties ((dwarf growth habit, rugose leaves). Some are very common in stores (early girl bush, celebrity etc.). I can't tell if it is a determinant variety or not. that would narrow it down. Determinant have the fruit clusters coming out of the top of the barnch next to a mature leaf. Indeterminants will have a stem with immature leaves extending above the uppermost fruit cluster.

People often switch tags in nursery plants so I would call the store and ask what varieties they sold this year.

jmoore

The tom's in this pic are all turning red, so, fingers crossed, I'll get to pick them this week sometime.

Now if I could just get some more flowers to actually turn into tomato's, I'd be golden. I'm not betting on it though. It's gonna be even hotter the next few weeks than it already has been.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

It might be offensive to suggest a Texan do anything small, but I'm wondering if growing dwarf varieties in containers might be a way to go in hot areas. The containers could be moved into a cooler garage or shady area for a few days when in bloom to help set fruit. The plants can do without much light for a few days.

jmoore

TZ -OH6 wrote:It might be offensive to suggest a Texan do anything small, but I'm wondering if growing dwarf varieties in containers might be a way to go in hot areas. The containers could be moved into a cooler garage or shady area for a few days when in bloom to help set fruit. The plants can do without much light for a few days.
That's not a bad idea. I thought about planting a cherry tomato in a 5 gallon bucket so I could move it around a bit but have not got around to it yet. I never thought about moving them into the garage to let them produce. But I'm guessing the garage is dang near close to the same temp as outside. Def. worth a shot though.

Not to mention that my potato tower is swallowing every oz of extra soil and mulch I have around :P They are gonna be the most expensive potato's I've ever eaten, assuming they are producing under all that soil.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

TZ,

The growing in containers idea works in hot areas because you can usually move them to a shady area during the hottest part of the day. It really isn't practical to move them inside to a cooler temp. When our hot weather hits, it stays hot for a couple of months or more. We rarely get any cool spells in the mid summer heat. Recently, it was still 90 degrees at 11:00 pm. A little shade is about the best most of us can do.

I recently installed a misting system on an outside deck. I checked the temp in the shade of a large Oak tree. It was 102. I then checked the temp on the deck with the misting system turned on. It was 78 degrees. I thought a similar system might help keep the tomato plants a little cooler. I bought one at Home Depot for $9.00 with two mister heads. I used it for a couple of days and found the tomato leaves that received mist which condensed on the them were burned. It would probably work at night, but the higher humidity would only promote fungal problems.

Ted

applestar
Mod

What if you ran the mister down further inside the canopy rather than above the tomato foliage? (This would be during the day -- let the foliage dry before nightfall)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I understand the duration of the heat. I used to live in southern Louisiana (with no AC in my car). Garages are sometimes built on the lower level of a two story house, and stay cooler from that protection, and sometimes detached garages have a window that would fit an AC unit. I'm not sure at what point heat will deactivate pollen. It may shorten an already short lifespan or it may prevent viable pollen from forming. If it is the former, a few days in cooler conditions could allow for some fruit set during that period by allowing viable pollen enough time to fertilize the ovules. I expect that flower drop is from inactive pollen being unsuccessful at fertilizing the flowers.

We do all kinds of impractical things, like moving a dozen flats of seedlings in and out every day for a several weeks in the early spring. Taking container tomatoes into a cool room for 2-3 day stays every couple of weeks seems doable. Like sending them to a fertility clinic for weekend stays. If you had a lot of plants you could rotate them in and out.

I don't know if it would work or how many days the plant would have to stay cool (lag time from the heat - 2 days, 5 days)), but it is something to play around with if the plants are being sterilized from the heat anyway.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”