s.studer

Duh_Vinci wrote:
Kumato - 60 days. Well... Growing this one out of curiosity, seeds were from the larger version of this commercial hybrid, but what is growing, are the fruits in size of their smaller version. Just a bit larger than a "large" cherry. Color - no black here, instead, dark brick red with green shoulders. Taste - on Kumato's site, they list "three stages", I find that the first stage, very firm fruit with sweet/tart, almost fruit like taste is more pleasing to my pallet. I would love to hear from anyone else growing Kumato on this forum - what are your results like?

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010kumato0730/953110692_rg9Vg-M.jpg[/img]

D
I am growing Kumatoes (F2) for the second year. So far this is the first one

[img]https://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii419/sstuder1/Tomatoes%202010/5f023ca0.jpg[/img]

I agree that they taste better in "stage one".

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Lubasha - 65 days. Now this is the most unusual "whatever it is" I've grown or tasted.
That's so fascinating!!! How does it have that name then, though? Did you name it, D?

And your photography is to die for!! You need to post about how you take such great photos! Do you use a light set up or is that natural--so jealous!

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Remember the OSU is not stabile?

I'll say it isn't. Out of three plants I have a cherry tomato and a basic tomato. The third is just putting on, but looks basic, not cherry not beefsteak, don't know what to call it.

But that isn't the half of it. I sampled both!
They are both good, but the cherry tomato is outta this world! At least to me, tastes good, like a rich tomato, but with a sweetness to it! And folks say they are just so-so on taste. Wow, not sure my tastebuds could handle one that is more flavorful!

Here is a photo of most of my harvest for 2010 to date:

They are mostly OSU blue
What is OSU blue? Is that the same as orange-flesh purple smudge (OFPS)? I have heard that variety is bland. And some reviewers on baker creek say their fruit didn't "smudge" at all, so weird!

Great pics, though!!

wolfie

ok D_V, here is my list from the pictures in this thread...

Taxi - 48 days, compact, saladette type, mild sweet flavor. 2ft tall plant is absolutely loaded with fruit:
Grub's Mystery Green - 58 days, medium size Green When Ripe beefsteaks, sweet, fruity, rich flavored tomato on compact indeterminate plant:
Noire de Crimee - 50 days in my garden. Beautiful, dark fruit, and looks like plenty of it
Pervaya Lyubov (First Love) - 65 days. Pastel pink/raspberry, absolutely delicious! Fruity, sweet and just enough acid to make it's flavor pop! 3-5oz fruit on clusters
Pink Berkley Tie-Dye - 60 days
Amazon Chocolate - 65 days, PL vigorous, strong plant, loaded with these medium size beefsteaks. Rich, smoky, well balanced flavor
Purple Russian - 55 days, wispy foliage, elongated purple plums with green shoulders, seems to set fruit very well in the heat
Zolotye Kupola - 60 days for this plant. Russian variety, translates as Golden Domes
White Queen - 70 days, abundant producer, Pale, creamy yellow with some slight green blotches - smooth, texture, mild but plenty flavorful, fruity, sweet/tart (but mild).
Bulls heart
Zloty Jubileusz - 60 days
Sandul Moldovian - 68 days. Huge, vigorous plant seems to set many pink beefsteaks
Hillbilly - 68 days
Donskoi - 68 days. Very large hearts on this plant
Beauty King - 70 days. Nice size, very pretty imo, bold, assertive flavor on the tart side. Mostly larger size beefsteaks on the vines so far
Orange Strawberry - 70 days. Deep, gorgeous orange fruits, mostly meat, very juicy, sweetness predominately
Spudakee - 65 days
German Queen - 75 days. Huge PL plant, delicious large pink beefsteaks
Orange Strawberry - 70 days. Deep, gorgeous orange fruits, mostly meat, very juicy, sweetness predominately.
Berkley Tie-Dye Heart - 80 days. balance of tartness and sweetness, juicy, meaty, just a delight
Dr. Wyche's Yellow - 75 days. Creamy yellow beefsteaks with some green shoulders

will send in pm too LOL

msgenie516
Newly Registered

Hi D!

GORGEOUS tomatoes and GORGEOUS pictures! I am just growing Brandywine and Brandy Boy and didn't take any pictures, but I think everyone knows what they look like, anyway.

I do have two other plants that I started late, both Big Zac. They only have small green tomatoes right now and I'm hoping that I have enough time left for a few to mature. I only discovered these seeds in a nursery in about the third week of May. I bought them and planted them right away and put the plants in the ground the very beginning of July. Unfortunately, we had a bad heat spell right after that and I lost all of the first blooms. I'm keeping my fingers crossed-I would love to see a 5 pound tomato like they show on the front of the seed packet!

I know someone else asked and I think you may have overlooked it, what kind of camera do you have? You are a very talented photographer and I love your pictures! Enjoy your great tomatoes! :D Genie

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Genie Welcome to the forum.

I would like to give you some encouragement. I planted some mators late myself and they didn't do anything for a month in the ground and not much after that. But they are getting bigger and have produced some tiny fruit, but they are growing. I as well as you am hoping for a late summer early fall crop. That is probably what we will both get, so don't fret and don't pull them they will come around.

And yes D_V is our resident photo god. :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”