jakruchten
Newly Registered

Tomato Leaf Curl or something more serious?

I'm brand new to vegetable gardening-this is my first time ever actually trying to plant and grow anything, and I promised myself I wouldn't become a ridiculous obsessive gardener over my tomatoes...but I'm failing at that. I wasn't even planning on doing tomatoes, but some friends gifted me with a ton-I have two plants that are basic red heirloom tomatoes, I don't know anything about them other than they're red and heirlooms, and there are two other heirlooms, one is "Georgian Green" or something like that and the other are "Russian Purple" or some other form of purpleish red heirlooms. One of the two off-colored ones is in the pictures below. I planted up here in Rochester maybe three, four days before memorial day weekend, all seedlings that I'd grown myself or that friends had grown, and since then we've had a heat wave, a really humid week that constantly attracted little black bugs (that I thought would completely destroy my tomatoes), and this week has brought several days of heavy rain as well as a day in the 50s/60s and a day in the 80s/90s. I've been trying to make sure everything in the garden is getting the water it should-the rain has been helping. My soil is extremely clay, and soaks up water like a sponge. I think I'm watering correctly...the other tomatoes are perfectly fine, but this particular heirloom is having some troubles. The leaves keep turning, and not just turning like within the leaf but whole branches seem to want to flip upside down. Some of the upper leaves are also super stubby-like and I can't tell if it's because they're brand new and growing or if something awful is attacking my tomato plant. I want to figure out a problem soon because everything is close together and I don't want to encourage spread of anything if its bacterial or viral! I figured I would ask people who have much more experience with tomatoes. I have two pictures attached, one from the side and one from the top. Let me know if anyone has any good advice!

[img]https://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7715/1074556.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3470/1074557.jpg[/img]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

That variety has wispy leaves, and is probably a heart shape like Anna Russian, or pointed like Opalka. The baby leaves on those types can do all sorts of acrobatics so I think that it is a little early to tell if they are screwed up.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yes, give them some time and see what happens.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I have several Mortgage Lifter heirloom tomato plants in my garden, and there is hardly a leaf on them that is not curly. Other types of tomato plants growing adjacent to those have more "normal" looking leaves. Also, the fruits on the Mortgage Lifters, as well as the plants, look very healthy (not considering the curly leaves). So, I am just assuming that tomato variety likes it's curly leaves.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”