Cathy99
Newly Registered

What is wrong with my tomato plants?

I planted two tomato plants in containers. Things were going good - beautiful growth, flowers, the whole bit. Then I put in Jobe fertilizer spikes, two in each container. Then the plants stopped growing, the leaves started curling and no new blooms. Did I over fertilize? If I did, how do I help the plants? :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Are you talking about the little spikes for flower pots, that are like less than the thickness of a pencil and about 3" long? (Jobe also makes BIG fertilizer spikes for trees -- if you put two of those in a container with a tomato plant you would be in trouble)

But assuming you are talking about the little ones, I can't imagine that the spikes caused the problem; they are supposed to be slow release, just gradually releasing the fertilizer over time.

It sounds like maybe the plants got some disease. We are getting tons of questions lately about tomato diseases, seems to be a bad year for it. If you are in IN, you are probably in the same weather pattern I am: rain, rain, rain and not a lot of sunshine. Very conducive to diseases!

Might help to figure it out if you could post a couple pictures of it. Instructions for that are here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'd say off the bat that the culprit may be poor drainage, as it is usually the main problem for plant grown in pots. However, since the plant has grown this long without any trouble, the culprit is probably some type of disease.

As RG said, throw up some pics or just give a detailed description, that will help us narrow things down.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”